3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Change location of Favorites and My Documents (XP Home Edition)

Hi

I have successfully changed the location of Favorites to c:Favorites, using TweakUI. Now I want to change the location of "My Documents" to c:Favorites. But I think I read a warning once that said you can't have two "special folders" at the same address. This may or may not still apply with XP.

Is there a discussion on the issues somewhere?

Thanks
    Dale

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Change location of Favorites and My Documents (XP Home Edition)

Technically you can have two special folders at the same locaton. But the result will be that you will see all your documents together with your favorite URLs both in "Favorites" list in Internet Explorer and in "My Documents" folder, which is impractical.

Better solution is to create two subfolders in your Favorites folder, say "Favorite Links" and "Documents", and using TweakUI point your special folders to these subfolders.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Pros and cons
    Ah, but that's the very point, I want everything in the same folder structure. I've had my files organised that way for a couple of years now (ever since I went broadband) and it works brilliantly.

When you think about it, why would you want your files segregated into two separate folder structures? If I want to browse through my resources relating to (say) existentialism, I go to FavoritesExistentialism and there they all are (files, shortcuts to files, and shortcuts to web-based pages and files). It doesn't matter to me whether they're web-based or hard-drive-based.

As I see it, there are zero advantages to segregating files based on type or physical location, and there are zero disadvantages to putting them in the same folder structure.

Which brings me back to Mr Gates and his bloody software. There is actually one disadvantage to my approach (yes, I lied), which is that, in some situations, software defaults to the MyDocuments folder. My workaround is to have a shortcut to Favorites in MyDocuments (in fact, it's the only file in MyDocuments). But it would be more elegant to have Favorites and MyDocuments defined as the same folder; hence my original post. (I could also put My Documents down a level under Favorites, but that's one extra click. Also, I have some very deep folder structures, which means I occasionally run into path-length problems.)

Can it be done
    Back to whether it can be done, I started to define MyDocuments as c:Favorites and TweakUI warned me "Don't set two special folders equal to each other, or set a special folder equal to a system folder like the Fonts folder". (I knew I'd seen the warning somewhere.) So it looks like I'd better not do it.

As a matter of interest, does anyone know why TweakUI issues this warning, or are they just being overly cautious?

Thanks
    Dale

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

This is only precaution. What TweakUI is doing, just changing your Registry settings. You also can do it manually with the same result.

So, you can change the settings for special folders, which are in the

HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVe rsionExplorerShell Folders

key. You can edit each value in this key. Values have names corresponding to the name of special folders (for example, "Favorites" for Favorites), except the value for My Documents, which has a name "Personal".

Remember, be very careful editing the Registry: if you damage it, your Windows installation will crash.