nomadprime

IE 6 crash with media panel open

Background: Running Win 98 SE on a P3 450, w/ 128 mg of ram, cleared all cache, temp, etc. Religiously apply all recommended and critical updates to IE.

In the last couple of weeks I was having a problem with IE 5.01 whenever I went to a page with multimedia components (background sound, quicktime, etc) - IE would crash with the "Internet Explorer has encountered a problem" dialog box, and give me an option to send the details to Microsoft or not. I had Winamp's latest version and Media Player 7.0 installed on system as well. By digging into the error message it seemed there was some OCX file being referenced. I wondered if it had gotten corrupted, so figured I'd try downloading the latest and greatest version of IE (6 beta) and hoped that would put in a "good version" of the OCX file. After install, the browser loaded fine, but when I clicked on the Media Panel, the side window opened and my browser crashed with the same old error message. Unfortunately since IE remembers what panes were open when it crashed, whenever I reopen the browser, it opens with that panel open, and crashes immediately.

Guessing it might be a Media Player issue, I downloaded and installed the latest version of Media Player to see if that resolved the problem - no such luck.

I am now uninstalling IE6, but have the same original problem in IE 5.01... Any creative thoughts or suggestions? I'm wondering if this may be related to WinAmp - since I upgraded it vaguely around the same time I started getting this problem (hard to tell for sure since I don't go to many sites with media components so timing was off by a few days)

Thanks for your help!

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: IE 6 crash with media panel open

I have been using IE 6.0 for some time and have NOT run into any of the problems you have stated.
    You might try and clean out ALL of you internet temp files. I have found that this will help at times.

Also have updated the 'Virtual Machine' files since you have been upgrading and reinstalling?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

nomadprime

Definitely have been clearing out all temp/cache etc files - (use a cleanup utility for that that is pretty thorough on a daily basis) so I feel pretty comfortable that isn't the issue. Since it only happens with media related pages/items, I'm really suspecting something along that venue, but know practically nothing about how IE relates/manages media so am at a loss to fix it

nomadprime

Oops - I also am definitely running the latest VM files - I confirmed that during IE 6 install

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Ie 6 does NOT come with VM, one must down load it. Also if you removed 6 and reinstalled 5.01 you may want to try to redo VM.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

nomadprime

I have VM build 3802 installed, which as far as I can tell is the latest... Is there one after that?

In looking at the error message tech detail dump when the browser crashes, I notice it referring to Media Player and DirectShow files (eg quartz.dll, msdxm.ocx, etc).