New Lounger
    Thanks

Office 97 to Office 2000

When I worked at a university we had so many problems upgrading from Office 97 to Office 2000 when the software was distributed over a network using Novell's Application Launcher that I want to check about going from Office 97 SR2 to Office 2000 on my home pc: I'm using Win 95B on a PII 300 with 64MB RAM and DUN. I have an 8GB hard drive partitioned into C, D, & E using Partition Magic.

I was able to successfully install FrontPage 2000, but I never had any prior version of FrontPage on my home pc.

Because of some work I'm doing for the university, I need to use Word 2000 because of a very complicated document that displays correctly in my Word 97 but not in their Word 2000. I really only need to install Word 2000.

Should I be concerned about upgrading? If not:
    a) what should I be aware of?
    [img]/forums/images/smilies/cool.gif[/img] can I install Office 2000 (or just Word 2000) in either D: or E: and leave Office 97 on C:?

Thank you for all your continued support.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Office 97 to Office 2000

Hi,

I should preface by saying I don't speak with any particular authority on this topic!<g> - but my guess is that this may cause problems - because applications need to register components in the Registry, and with one operating system, no matter how many drives, you've still got one Registry. I believe Woody has advised in his newsletters that the best way to install an Office upgrade is on a clean hard drive!

Do you have the option to set up a dual boot system - i.e. have different operating systems running on different drives (you get an option as to which one to run, when you boot up)? On my home PC, for some months I had Win98/Ofic97 on my C drive, and Win2000/Ofc2K on my D drive - this ran fine.

If you have Partition Magic, then setting up a dual boot system is very easy.

Gary

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I was running Office 97 and Office 2000 on the same machine for a few months, and I did run into a few problems. I had 97 installed on C: and 2000 on D:

Every time I ran any 2000 application, the Office application's installer (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, etc) would have to run for several minutes before the application would open. I really didn't have too much trouble with locking up or anything crazy like that. I did eventually try uninstalling Office 2000 (so I could install it in the place of Office 97), but I had all sorts of problems during the process (I think it had trouble locating it to uninstall it), so I finally gave up and ghosted my machine.

I would side with Gary on this one, but I thought you might appreciate some input from someone who's been there, done that.

Good luck to you.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The Netware Application Launcher is not my favorite piece of software, and there were some problems on our network with it until the IT techies finally got it properly tweaked to install Office 2k over Office 97. They did get it to work properly at last. However, I installed 2000 local to my workstation in the default location using CDs rather than the NAL after uninstalling and reinstalling Access 97 in a different folder.

All you need to qualify for an upgrade is a single application from the version of Office you're upgrading. So if FrontPage came with the upgrade version but you didn't have it installed before, that isn't a problem.

At home, I left Access 97 in the default location and installed Office 2000 to my D partition in a folder called Office2K without any problems. The only difficulty arises if you try to use some of the samples that come with the developer's edition because they look for stuff in the default location. The registry contains two sets of keys, one for each version of Office (assuming you only have two versions floating around), so it can keep them straight even if you have problems doing so.
    Charlotte

Thanks

I installed Office 2000 on my home machine which had Office 97 installed and put it in a separate folder in the program files folder. It replaced Outlook 97/98 but left the other programs alone. The Office 2000 programs become the default for opening documents (spreadsheets, etc.) from Explorer.

I removed all of the 97 versions of everything except Word about a month later to free up some disk space. So far (16 months) the two versions of Word have coexisted quite happily. I have added a command to open with Word 97 to the right-click menu in Explorer but usually just drag documents to the Word 97 icon on my desktop.

Hope this helps.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

Thanks

Just an addendum to using both Office 2000 (Premium) and Word 97 on the same machine (both installed on drive C):

I've noticed that after I use Word 97 and then start Word 2000, the Office Installer kicks in for about 20-30 seconds. Don't know that it does anything.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I haven't run into that with both versions of Access, but I did run into it when I had Office 97 and only Access 2000 installed, prior to upgrading to Office 2000. It was annoying but harmless. I have learned to create Send To shortcuts and right click documents or databases to send them to the appropriate version, which eliminates any confusion Windows might have about which executable to open.
    Charlotte