2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

excel (addinf temp symbols and other measurement units)

Hi,
    This is simple but dont wanna mess around for a 1/2 hour find out how to do it

I want to put the add the symbol M3 with the 3 supersripted and oF and oC.

How do you add these to a list so I can add the proper looking unit every time I mention it in a formula??

thank you

Thanks

Re: excel (addinf temp symbols and other measurement units)

In most text fonts:
    Supercript 3 can be entered via num keypad <Alt>0179, [Superscript 0,1, and 2 are respectively, <alt>0186, 0185, 0178)

Degree symbol is <alt>0176

I do not understand your question:
    <hr>How do you add these to a list so I can add the proper looking unit every time I mention it in a formula?<hr>

Steve

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

thanks guys,

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

You can set up the "autocorrect" feature to replace "m3" with "m-superscripted-3" (and "oC" with "degree-symbol-C" etc).

<UL><LI> Click into Tools | Autocorrect;
    <LI> Click the "replace text as you type" check box, if it is not already set:
    <LI> In the left-hand ("Replace:") box under "replace text as you type" put in the text you want to have replaced - in this case, m3;
    <LI> In the right-hand ("With:") box type m then alt-0179 - you should get a properly formatted cubic metres symbol;
    <LI> Click "Add"[/list]When you return to Excel and type m3 the "3" will be replaced by a "superscripted 3." This will also work if you are typing expressions like m3/sec. NOte that this setting will apply to all MS office programs that use the same dictionary (ie, you will get the same effect in Word, Powerpoint, etc) - if that's not what you want, you are probably stuck with typing alt-0179 or manually superscripting the numbers after you type them in.

Note that this will also apply when you are entering formulas (yikes!) - if you need a formula like "=M3 * K2/4" the autoreplace will turn the "3" into a superscript, Excel will not understand how to interpret the formula, and will return an error. One work-around for this is to type in the formula, and then go back in and manually change the superscript to a "3" - if you are not typing directly after the "m3" (with an operator or a space) the autoreplace will not kick in, so move off that portion of the formula with the cursor keys.

I would try it, to see if the benefit of having m