New Lounger
    Thanks

Deleting W2k Installation files

Hi,

I recently started and then stopped a W2K installation process. Now when I boot up I'm forced to choose between W2K, and W2K installation. I want to delete the installation files that are causing this problem. But I don't know where they are. Which directory will I find them in? How do I identify them>

Thanks as always,
    Gregory

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Deleting W2k Installation files

The cause of your problem is not temporary installation folder itself, but the entry in boot.ini file in the root of your system drive (usually C: ).

Open your boot.ini file (it is hidden file) and delete the second line (with the word "installation") from [ operating systems ] section.

WARNING! Be very careful editing your boot.ini file - by damaging it you can make your Windows installation unbootable.
    An example of boot.ini file:

--------------Exampale-----------------------
    [boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)WINNT
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)WINNT="Microsof t Windows 2000 Workstation" /fastdetect
    ------------------------End of example-----------------------------------------------

The temporary installation folder is on the root of one of your drives and it has long filename of random alphanumeric characters.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hi kaplinb,

Thanks for your help. I did as you suggested. However, when my computer boots up, it still stops at the screen with 2 boot up choices. One says Windows 2000 (Default). The other says Windows 2000 Professional. I have to select the 'Windows 2000 Professional' option to have the computer boot up successfully. So editing the boot.ini file did not eliminate this extra step in the boot up process. Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
    Gregory

Thanks

Try:

Right-click "My Computer" > Properties > Advanced > Startup and Recovery...

Select the startup option you want, and de-select "Show a list..."