3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Local/Network--PST files (Outlook 2003)

Exchange Servers have some limits, especially non-enterprise versions before the soon to be released SP3 for Exchange 2003. So users have either used PST files or been forced to use PST files through auto-archive.

For laptop users the over-riding problem/question I have is:
    > pst file local to C: drive so always accessible but not backed up
    -or-
    > pst file on network drive so is backed up but not accessible unless I can get to the network.

What is the best answer? I know Windows offline files & folders do not like to copy/update PST files.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Local/Network--PST files (Outlook 2003)

Your question answers itself - there is no best answer. I lean towards the PST on the LAN so it can be backed up, with Offline Folders on the laptop syncing with every Server mailbox folder.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

Thanks

Questions: Didn't they just release SP2 for Exchange Server 2003? What is happening with the 16GB mail store limit in SP3?

Thoughts: A friend of mine recently demonstrated a "vault" technology that you can add on to Exchange. It archives all mail that's more than 3 months old to some kind of separate database but leaves a lightweight envelope or other pointer on the Exchange server so you can retrieve the older mail on the fly. Sorry, I don't know the product name.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry - I meant SP2 - finger hit the wrong key and I didn't notice. But SP2 is taking the 16GB limit to 75GB. http://www.microsoft.com/exchange/ev...p2/topten.mspx

I know there are some technologies out there for managing large quantities of email and I think more people will have to adopt them as we are required to store more for longer. A couple I have reviewed are Enterprise Vault by KVS (a Veritas product now) and Email Extender by Legato (an EMC company).

I am just trying to figure out the best practices for a smaller organization that can't afford a minimum $20-30K dollar investment. Having the 75 limit on Exchange will help - or perhaps just delay the problem for a couple of years.

Thanks

In the past JohnBF (or another industrious Outlook user) posted a macro that would save attachments to the file system and replace them with a link in the message body. If this were to be implemented with server-side storage, it might significantly reduce the amount of bytes required inside the message store, without having to go to PSTs. However, I'm not sure how you would implement this as an "archiving" strategy, unless it is possible to do it with server-side scripting.