5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Reload XP issue (XP Pro)

My daughter's computer this morning "all of a sudden" would not load. It kept saying that many files in the system32 dir were missing. They are of course too big to copy over from a floppy. I then tried the Repair function and I do not know how to expand the files from the prompt and I'm afraid that there are too many missing and some corruption going on. There were only 204 files in that dir and they only had files with names of A and L and B, etc. with no full filenames, so I'm afraid something big went down.

There are a lot of files that she NEEDS to get off of the computer. My question is: if I reload windows, will it delete other non-windows directories if I copy her files from the Documents and Settings area (which I assume will be overwritten since the Windows install will create another Documents and Settings directory) to another newly made dir called c:save or something. That way her files would be intact. Or is there another way to backup the files other than a floppy?

I do have a copy of Partition Magic, but don't remember if it can be loaded under DOS. That way I could make a separate partition to keep her files in.

--KZ

P.S. I did find my DOS version of PM and created a D partition and moved most of the files over to D so that I can reload Windows on C.
    But my question is what would cause most of the files in the system32 area to be deleted and the file names be changed to a letter? Is that the work of a virus? If so, I've never heard of that one before. We do have AV software running, along with ZoneAlarm, etc.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Re: Reload XP issue (XP Pro)

If you want to repair the installation you should not load the repair console but should skip the question. There will be another opportunity later. When Windows Setup determines that there is an existing installation you'll get the chance to repair the current install.

Most likely it was some sort of malware that did the damage. There are quite a number of viruses that will generate random file names. See virus random file name generated - Google Search. Seems as though at this point reloading Windows is the best option. Once you have it loaded be sure that you have all the fixes/patches from Windows Update. Then do a complete virus scan of the system including the files you backed up on the new partition.

Joe
    Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks. I didn't realize that there were two Repair areas. Anyway, I think that system is beyond the fix stage and should be reloaded.

That link to that virus does sound like what happened. [img]/forums/images/smilies/sad.gif[/img] Looks like I'll need to have a discussion regarding AV issues!

Question still: Will the reload of Windows delete the Documents and Settings and other non-Windows directories? I wasn't planning on doing a reformat, just delete the Windows directories.

--KZ

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

If you have already made a backup of the important data I'd let Windows Setup format the installation partition (most likely C. That way you'll be sure everything is clean. If you choose not to have setup format the partition 'Documents and Settings' and the non-Windows folders should remain intact. You will need to reinstall all programs however.

Joe
    Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks!

I'll work on that this evening.

--KZ