Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

WiFi finders - portable devices

Does anyone have any experience of these devices, which seem to be the size of a USB Flash drive, but are self-powered and have a display to enable:
    "users to scroll through Wireless hotspots/Networks to view information such as SSID, encryption requirements, signal strength, band used, and channels used." (from the ZyXEL ZyAIR AG-225H Tri-Mode 54Mbps USB 2.0 Adapter/WiFi Finder blurb)

The main use would be to survey an area within a building for signal strengths from a wireless router in various locations. An alernative would be to wander around with a wifi-enabled small laptop, but I'm really after something costing less than
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: WiFi finders - portable devices

I've only used the ones that had the single button and the 3 little lights, and we promptly forgot what the little lights meant.

Another alternative might be to use a Wi-Fi enabled PDA? Assuming that one is available and reasonable signal-strength utilities are available, that could be a very low cost solution.

The real way to do this is to use radio-pro signal analyzing equipment, but it cost thousands, and you need guys to run it.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Jim!

My idea was to plonk a wireless router down in some arbitrary position, then wander round determining the signal strengths in various likely places where PCs or laptops would be located. The wireless-enabled PDA idea would appeal if I had one already, but for the price I would be able to buy several of the
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hey, that looks pretty cool. Maybe I'll get one for the boss to play with. Might be useful for our traveling partners.