Star Lounger
    Thanks

Windows Explorer does not start (XP pro SP2 fully updated)

The first boot of the day (or evening) always fails in the sense that explorer (and hence the desktop) does not start. It fails with an unknown error. I can only repair this behavior by starting the taskmanager and from that I start a command window, where I issue a chkdsk /f command. The check disk will be started the next time I boot and after checking everything is fine again, although the 'quick launch' taksbar is missing and need to be set again. A simple reboot without checking the disk does not help and I cannot start the explorer from the taskmanager, it will fail with the same error. I did an extensive spyware scan, nothing found. An active virusscanner did not find anything either. I think the issue started (by coincidence???) when I installed Fedora on another partition.
    I did check according to http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;833161 , but this was not my problem. Anybody ????

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts

Re: Windows Explorer does not start (XP pro SP2 fully updated)

Have you uninstalled Fedora? Have you tried a system restore to a time before the Fedora install? Have you tried to repair your Xp installation?

Joe
    Joe

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Try chkdsk /r switch - it performs 5 steps check instead of 3 steps with /f switch.

Did you check all autorun programs (msconfig and click Startup tab) and exclude suspicious ones from starting automatically?

You can also try sfc /purgecache to purge your cache files (Windows will rebuild them on the next boot).
    If it will not fix your problem, try sfc /scannow (it will require your Windows installation CD or access to your installation folder).

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I did not uninstall Fedora, since I feel that it just allocates diskspace and does not have any connection with the Windows environment. A system restore did not work, but I did not try a repair yet.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I did the full chkdsk and checked for he autorun programs. I tried to start with a minimal configuration, did not work though. did the sfc last night, no problems found. I'll do the sfc /purgecache once more and see what happens.
    Thanks.

Thanks

Re: Windows Explorer does not start (XP pro SP2)

If you installed Fedora (which version by the way - FC4?) in its default configuration, then you will probably have set GRUB as the bootloader on the boot partition, which can therefore affect how your computer boots. You might try reinstalling Fedora just to make sure that the installation of GRUB went smoothly - I assume it detected your Windows installation?
    Regards,
    Rory

Microsoft MVP - Excel

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Indeed I installed FC4 with the bootloader. It did detect Windows properly and booting XP was not the problem. In the mean time I did a reinstall of Windows and managed to reboot a number of times now without any problems. Maybe the problem is solved. I'll be back tomorrow to give the final result. By the way the sfc /purgecache did not solve the problem, I even had to take the powercord out of the PC to shutdown.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

OK, I have not had any problems with explorer since the reinstall. Booting goes a little faster as well. Glad this issue is done with. Thanks.