Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Copying Files from Laptop to PC (OE 6)

Have just reset up our PC after a long storage period during which we used our laptop exclusively. We now have the PC as our main office computer in a different physical location from our laptop. As a result, I'd like to get all the email addresses and important messages copied from the laptop to the PC.

Can you tell me how to do this or direct me to a Web site or article (or post!!) that could provide easy-to-understand-for-a-non-techie advice?

Much appreciated,

Thanks

Re: Copying Files from Laptop to PC (OE 6)

See <post#=505,739>post 505,739</post#> .
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, John. Followed your link to Leif's reply and think the MS article on copying OE folders will do the trick. The PC is not new: it is just out of date by 16 months or so and I want to get the laptop's up-to-date OE info into the PC, now that it will become our "default" computer. The wizard sounded more for a brand new machine and, besides, I was not sure how to proceed with hooking up the computers with cables or to the network in this office building.

As a by the way type question, do you think I could just forward relevant (i.e., important client) messages to the PC and resave them into the proper folders? It might be less work and less complicated, depending on how many there are.

Thanks

You could certainly forward the messages to the PC, but that still leaves the address book to be resolved. I think the export/import process in <!mskb= 270670>Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 270670<!/mskb> is the simplest solution. This method ensures that everything gets transferred (if that's what you want). All of the exported files from the laptop could be written to CD and then transferred to the PC for importing.
    John

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Good point re. the address book. I'll check out your link and work through it. Thanks. Will also post progress - and, I'm sure, success!

Linda

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Hi again, John,

Am going to follow the KB method after reviewing it again. A couple of clarification questions before I get going:
    1. From what you said, the KB-outlined method will not be a problem when what I am doing is adding recent messages (from laptop) to older ones Iin PC). Am I correct?
    2. My saved emails in both computers are all in sub-folders under "Local Folders". If a folder being imported from the laptop has same name as an already existing folder in the PC, will it overwrite it or just add the new messages from the laptop to it?

Just want to be sure before I get started. You already know about my fear of messing up! Thanks again for your support and your patience!

Linda

Thanks

I'm not really sure Linda. In Outlook, you can specify that you don't want duplicates imported but I'm not sure if that option is available in OE. Perhaps someone else who has used this procedure in OE will jump in.
    John

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Okay. I'll hold off and wait to see if someone does...

Thanks.