Lounger
    Thanks

Email from MailMerge (Word 2003)

I have a spreadsheet that performs some payroll calculations, one being the tracking of PTO (paid time off). One of the staff runs a mail merge from Word, prints each individual sheet and folds and attaches to the paycheck when handing them out. It would save time if we could email these sheets instead. I am thinking that if we added the email address as part of the mail merge, that a macro could select that field and simply send the sheet from within Word. When the mail merge completes, you end up with a document that has about 100 pages--each employee's data is contained on one single page. I admit I am more familiar with macros in Excel (familiar but not an expert) but wonder if there is not a way to do this from Word since the mail merge process is already set up. I am using Outlook 2003 as well.

There is probably a way to do this from Outlook but I am less familiar with that from an automation standpoint.

Any help or guidance is appreciated.
    Steve

Thanks

Re: Email from MailMerge (Word 2003)

I think we've had some threads on how to save the separate section of merged documents as separate documents... but I suspect you don't actually want to create 100 separate new documents every payroll.

For reasons of preserving the confidentiality of possibly sensitive data, I suggest you consider how you might deliver an encrypted document or message to the users so that, should anything go wrong, only the desired recipient would be able to open it. One approach would be to use Word 2003's relatively strong encryption. Another would be to print the pages to individual PDFs using a PDF-making product that can apply a password. A third possibility would be to send only a link and store the documents on a web server in a database so that users can be authenticated before retrieving them.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Email from MailMerge (Word 2003)

(Edited by HansV to make URL clickable - see <!help=19>Help 19<!/help>)

This should help you with email merging

http://ist.uwaterloo.ca/cs/sew/cours...d2002Merge.pdf