Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

MS Messenger (Windows XP SP2)

Here I am again, this time with a different question. Can someone advise me how to get rid of MS Messenger? I never use it and dislike its starting up every time the computer does. I tried "Add/Remove Windows Components", but with no success. Right now, I just "sign out" every time, but I really would like it NOT to start at all and to go away!

Thanks for any help offered!

Linda

Thanks

Re: MS Messenger (Windows XP SP2)

From the Windows Star Post Index - <post:=327,293>post 327,293</post:>

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks

Hello Linda,
    Fancy meeting you here!

OK........
    There is a little VBS program written by Doug Knox to remove messenger from XP. He has nice clear instructions on how to download and run it. ( does a fine job )
    You MAY get all kind of warnings from your AV program asking you if it's OK to run this. ( it is )

Go to Messenger
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Bob, Eric and Leif,

Yes, Bob, I'm everywhere in here it seems as I try to get this PC "back in shape"!

Thanks, everyone, for your help and links. I kind of liked Bob's VBS solution so implemented it first. Then, thought I'd check the SYSOC procedure to see and did that, too. I hope that didn't mess up anything. Messenger does seem to be gone and OE does seem to be opening much faster than it had been when I kept disabling Messenger.

I've printed out the instructions from both links and will keep in a safe place in case they are needed again! Really appreciate all of your prompt replies and links with their easy-to-follow instructions.

Linda