Gold Lounger
    Thanks

REgistry cleaner: CCleaner

Any opinions on http://www.ccleaner.com/?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: REgistry cleaner: CCleaner

I tried using CCleaner - the current version and the one before. I think it probably does a good job of getting rid of temp files but I had trouble after using the sysyem checking function. I started getting an error message everytime the recycle bin was emptied. I can't definitely say it was ccleaner that caused the problem but I'm fairly certain. I wrote to their forum about it and never received a reply. I'm using jv16 power tools now but I've given up trying to clean the registry. In my experience it offers little improvement. I think using a disk image and just taking the system back to a safe and smooth point is the way to go.

Chris (Hunt)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Do you subscribe to Fred Langa's newsletter?He reviewed registry cleaners recently. You may find some info there
    http://langa.com
    --------------------------------------------------
    Jack MacDonald
    Vancouver, Canada

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

I would never allow a registry cleaner to clean anything, but the critters can be useful for identifying alleged problems.

I usually use Norton Utilities 2002's Win Doctor to identify things, but it misses things, and, on my multiboot system, finds "missing stuff" under another OS and suggests those as corrections for the current OS.

I would prefer a registry cleaner that stuck to only the currently installed OS' files. The program could check boot.ini to see what files can be ignored. because they are in other OS.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Nope, I do not subscribe.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Many registry checkers/ cleaners provide for an "ignore list". You could add appropriate entries to ignore the non-current O/S. jv16 is one such program.

Alan

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

I've used CCleaner for identification purposes only. Then I decide what to do and how to do it. It seems to do OK at identification. As with RegSeeker I seldom use it.

Joe
    Joe

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

I use CCleaner nightly; both the "Cleaner" and "Issues" sections and have NEVER had a problem deleting everything it finds. I've made this little utility standard issue on every PC I've worked on and again, I've never had a problem deleting everything and anything it finds. For a more thorough cleaning of the Registry, I use jv16PowerTools which has only caused a problem once in 4 years and I'm not sure if the problem was due to something I allowed it to remove or it was something else. So, for me, CCleaner is 99.99% safe to use.

Jeff
    Jeff
    simul iustus et peccator