5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Restoring outline (Word 2003)

I am writing a report and as I was listing items, I got an automatic 1 then a -type structure imposed on me by Word. I backed out of it as best I could, not knowing if that is what I wanted to do. Now, I'd like to restore it, but don't know how. Also, I read once but now forget where I tell word to align the left edge of paragraphs underneath where the paragraph starts, so it doesn't go all the way to the left edge every time. So that my 1) and 2) etc paragraphs are blocks instead of "regular" paragaraphs. TYIA! And is there a good tutorial book on Word?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Restoring outline (Word 2003)

Word has several styles for numbered lists and bulleted lists built in; you'll see them if you hold down the Shift key while clicking the Styles dropdown on the Formatting toolbar.

You can also use the Numbering button and Bullets button on the Formatting toolbar, but it can be hard to obtain consistent results if you use them.

Both the styles and the buttons will set a hanging indent. You can also set this on the ruler, and in the Format | Paragraph dialog...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: png x.png (2.5 KB, 0 views)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Ok. I'm trying that, applying the numbering style 1) a) etc. Now this: In that scheme, I am of course changing and adding lines , but when I try to insert a new number, between 1 and 2 the numbering does not re-number the existing setup, so I have a blank new line not numbered 2) and the existing 2) hasn't turned to 3). Do I need to reapply the formatting each time I do this? ANd can I reorganize the numbered items, moving 3 to 1, for instance.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

If you click at the end of an existing numbered paragraph and press Enter, a new numbered paragraph should be inserted, and the numbering of the following paragraphs should be incremented automatically. Similarly, if you delete a numbered paragraph, the following numbers should be decremented. And dragging paragraphs around should work too.
    All this will only work if you applied "real" numbering, either by using a numbered style or by clicking the Numbering button, not if you type in the numbers yourself.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Ok. Thanks!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I am having continuing problems getting these bullets and numbering schemes to work. When I start using one, and get to a point, such as 2 c, and want to go to 3, the cursor goes all the way back to the left margin, not staying inside the numbering scheme, and not creating a 3) to start the next step. Do I have to highlight the area and try and redo the whole setup? Also, I am trying to keep the numbering presentation similar to the section above it, but whenever I try to use the format painter, it screws up the whole document, sometimes renumbering every line in the whole document (!) and sometimes carrying the numbering from the above section over so that I start with 5 after the 4 above, not 1. It is primarily unfamiliarity with the steps, but it is not very intuitive from what I see. Thanks!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Perhaps Word Numbering Explained can provide some background.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

That's great. Thanks.