3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Missing OCX Control

I just reformatted my computer and loaded Access 97, then Access 2K (so I can run both versions). When I set up my computer before I had available the MS Internet Control (MSinet.ocx) and now it is not available when I run either version. The only difference is that I had Visual Basic loaded which I don't now, but I don't think that is the reason.

How do I get this control to become part of "More Controls" option on the control bar? It doesn't show up in the ActiveX Controls... under the Tools menu, nor is the MSinet.ocx file anywhere on my hard drive.

There is another computer in my office that has that available on their computer.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Missing OCX Control

I'll bet the other computer has VB loaded. Most of the OCXs are loaded with VB. Access only has whatever is generally available from Windows or other programs.
    Charlotte

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you, Charlotte. I suspected that might be the case but didn't think Access catalogued all OCX's residing on my system.

While I have you, do you know if I develop an application that uses an OCX control that isn't on the machine I am copying it to, will it work - or is there a way to make it work.

I am a programmer/analyst for a company and am locked out of the registry on the system I am developing this thing for. I am also prevented to install any EXE files. I know that must sound silly, but hey, I get paid the same. Anyhow, I can probably copy the OCX control to the machine but I can't register it due to being locked out of the registry.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You absolutely cannot make an OCX work unless it's registered on that machine. However, even if you're locked out of the registry, you should be able to use regsvr32.exe to register the OCX. You can find articles on that in the MS Knowledgebase It's part of Windows, so it should be available to you.
    Charlotte

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks again Charlotte. I will give that a try.

I did take the same code compiled in an EXE, copy it to the machine and it did work. It was a Visual Basic 6.0 application, though.

Mike

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

A VB EXE is a whole different critter from an Access runtime and it packages differently, as you've discovered. Plus, the companion OCXs are automatically licensed with VB Professional.
    Charlotte