Thread: Strange Problem

Lounger
    Thanks

Strange Problem

I have a client with Win98se computers. One of these computers (the Network Admin's machine) has a very odd problem with directory sorting / viewing.

Normally, when you open Windows Explorer (in list view) you see directories (alphabetically A - Z) followed by files (alphabetically A - Z). This is good - this is what we want.

On the Net Admin's machine the inverse occurs: when you open Windows Explorer (in list view) you see files (alphabetically Z - A) followed by directories (alphabetically Z - A). This occurs for network shares, within program "Open File" dialogs, etc. universally! No amount of resetting "File View" parameters fixes the problem. Each new instance of Windows Explorer opens with the inverted list order. I don't want to reinstall this machine due to the LARGE number of installed programs.

So my question: Does anyone know where the registry keys that control this function are? & How do I manipulate them to achieve the "normal" view?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Strange Problem

Open MyComputer. If the files and folders are not in the correct order here, then click on the column header for the file name column until it is in the order you want. Then go to the Tools Menu and select "Folder options...". Click on the View tab. Click on the "Like Current Folder" button. Click on OK and then close My Computer. Shut the computer down so that the changes are stored to disk. When you start back up, it should display in the order you want.
    Legare Coleman

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the quick response!
    However, been there - done that.
    I've tried all the user / GUI level things that I can find on TechNet, all are no help.
    I've even tried exporting & reimporting the registry, no help.
    At this point I have to believe that I've got a bad registry key (this is the only problem on this computer & this computer is worked HARD).
    What I hope will help is the registry key & the correct default value, or a script that will return the key to it's default status.

New Lounger
    Thanks

I'm not sure what all is listed on TechNet so if I repeat what is there, sorry. When I have used a different machine which does not have the files listed like the default (A-Z) I have found that I have to switch the View to Details, then clicking on whichever cloumn (Name, Size, Type, Modified) uses that column to sort. Holding down the shift key when clicking on the column does a reverse sort. Select Remeber ... in the Folder Options/View sets it to stay that way. Hope this helps and isn't a repeat of other advice.

ileacy

Hi.

This <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.wopr.com/cgi-bin/w3t/showthreaded.pl?Cat=&Board=98&Number=8126&page=&vi ew=&sb=&o=&vc=1#Post8126>thread</A> might help.

ileacy

Great info. Thanks for sharing it.

Lounger
    Thanks

Fix Windows 98 File Open/Save Order

Hello Ian!

I had originally found & rejected <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.wopr.com/cgi-bin/w3t/showthreaded.pl?Cat=&Board=98&Number=8126>that</A> particular KB Article because it refers only to Win2000 & Win95.
    But, out of sheer desperation, I did give it a try with mixed results.
    When I changed the registry key to the one listed in the KB Article:

1) I did have to reboot for the changes to take effect
    2) ALL the Windows Explorer windows wanted to behave excatly alike - that is, if I made a change in the View properties of "Printers" that same change would ripple up into the default Windows Explorer View - very strange.

But, I at least knew which key was causing the problem. I was installing Windows 98se to a clean hard drive (on another client's computer), so when the basic installation was done, I checked the registry key in question. From a cleanly installed copy of Windows 98se, that registry key reads:

HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVe rsionExplorer

"ShellState"
    1C 00 00 00 A3 08 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 01 00 00 00 0A 00 00 00

With this registry key the Network Admin's Windows 98se computer went back to behaving in in the way that I had come to expect. That is, I could change the View properties of each individual window without effecting any others. AND, I got the proper sort-order back!

I share this solution for INFORMATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY!
    Just because it worked for me, doesn't necessarily mean that it will work for you - remember, it is Windows!
    Your Mileage May Vary!

Edited for star post