Star Lounger
    Thanks

Drivers will not install (Win XP SP-2)

I had to do a full reinstallation on my PC (Compaq Presario S6500NX). Now when I log on, I get a error message about KBD.exe. I tried to get the newest driver (Logitech) but when I try to install it (or anything else for that matter) I get a message about InstallSheild Engine Engine (iKernal.exe) could not be launched. I was able to do this before. It has done it with XP SP-1 only since I did the reinstallation and also now with SP-2. Any clues why I can't update my drivers? It also happens when I try to re-install my VPN for work. I am clueless to what is happening and the KB files are no help to me (big suprise there).

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Drivers will not install (Win XP SP-2)

On the chance that you've spelled it incorrectly and it should be <big>ikernel.exe</big>, take a look here to see if it helps: Programs That Use the InstallShield Program May Not Start. Before I stumbled on the article, I was going to ask you if, during the SP2 install you inadvertantly have TWO firewalls running. That might cause a conflict. What's so strange to me is that I have an XP Pro SP2 fully patched machine and I don't have (or Search will not show) that file on my machine. I wonder why?

PS Howdy, "neighbor"

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Rather than edit my previous response, I'll add this in case you rely on email notices. While doing some further Googling, I came across this quote in a message board:
    <hr>It's important to spell filenames correctly. In your subject, you have kernal, but in the message it's kernel with an E. There is no "I" Kernel anyway. The legitmate Windows file is <big>Kernel32.dll.</big> <hr>
    The highlighting is mine. Even if this guy is correct, I don't know what causes the message to say "ikernAl.exe" unless it's something in the innards of the kernel32.dll file. Meanwhile, the thread I copied that from was also talking about some spyware or whatever. Have YOU scanned your system since you did all this installing to make sure that something in your core stuff doesn't have a nasty in it?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Please be more specific what do you mean telling "full reinstallation" - did you use original HP/Compaq Reinstallation CD with WinXP Reinstallaton CD, that came with your computer, or you used retail Windows XP Installation CD, destroying all existing partitions and creating a new one(s)? It is important, because if you used WinXP Installation CD (OEM or retail) without HP/Compaq Reinstallation CD, your installation may not have the appropriate drivers. Since you mention keyboard driver, your keyboard may not function at all and your installation can be unusable.

Try to connect a standard PS/2 keyboard, logon to an account with Administrator rights, open Device Manager (Start |Run, type DEVMGMT.MSC and hit Enter), navigate to Keyboards | your keyboard, right-click it and choose Update driver, and point the wizard to your specific driver (Logitech).

Star Lounger
    Thanks

yes, it was Ikernel not ikernal.

the specific message is : InstallSheild Engine Engine (iKernel.exe) could not be launched. Then it has a close button (no other options) and the install stops.
    I tried the link you gave me, but the instructions were were Win 2000 and not XP so I couldn't figure out what I was to do form there. I will try again later today.

Yes, my Search function is gone as well. It worked shortly after I did the re-install, but has stopped again. Makes no sense at all. My routine screenings for viri and spyware showed no infestasions last week, but I am rescanning to play it safe.

I use the firewall from Zone Alarm, but had it off when I did the re-intall and and updates through the MS website.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

When I bought the PC, I created the Recovery Disk on a DVD as instructed and used that to get my operating system back to the original state with Win XP Home. I then re-installed Win XP Pro that I had purchased. I then used the Windows Update to get up to date on all patches. I have the Logitech Internet Navigator keyboard, and tried to install the most up to date version on my hard drive. The buttons I have programmed to bring up specific programs now are not working. My Device manager says that I have a Compaq PS-2 keyboard and mouse, even though in reality I have the above mentioned keyboard and Logitech Marble Mouse trakball.

What do you suggest I do from here? I even though of detaching and then plugging the keyboard back into the PC to see if Plug and Play would see it as a new keyboard, but am concerned that it would not install and leave us with being able to input into PC.

I am open to any and all suggestions.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Go to the Logitech site, and download the latest drivers for the keyboard. Go into Add/Remove Programs and remove the Compaq keyboard program. If it's not there, go into Device Mgr., and remove the Compaq keyboard. Set up the Logitech drivers, and reboot. Plug N' Play should then see the keyboard, and will use the Logitech drivers. After that, you should be able to reprogram your keyboard however you wish. Even if it fails to work, your keyboard should be seen as a generic keyboard, and will work - but without the "advanced" features you're used to using. Change the mouse drivers the same way. I can't remember if the Logitech keyboard drivers include mouse drivers, but they may. At any rate, they should be available on the Logitech Site .

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I did download the latest driver for my keyboard. I still get the Install Engine won't run message. I even did the uninstall like you suggested, but all it did was reinstall the generic PS-2 keyboard, leaving the extra programmable buttons useless. I still cannot install my keyboard drivers, mouse drivers, or my VPN. I contacted the VPN help desk. The even had me try to install a new Ikernel, but got the same message.

Do I need to just reformat the hard drive and start over?

Thanks

Can you confirm you tried kaplinb's suggestion while logged on as a user with administrator rights?
    Are you running any anti-virus software?

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes I did that under my log-in (ower...administrator rights)

I am using Zone Alarm Security Suite for my firewall and antiviral/anti-spyware. I have tried with and without zone Alarm active with the same results.

When I try to uninstall with the device manager, it will not find and install the Logitech driver, even when I lead it right to the folder with the driver in it.

Next suggestion? I'm open honestly open to any ....

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Unfortuately, I've already tried that, but to no avail. I try to remove the keyboard program (KBD.EXE) but it stalls when I try to do so. I can run any other program, but the window for Add/Remove goes to the background and then does nothing.

I have the drivers ready, but I can't even get to the installation stage because my PC won't/can't open the InstallEngine/ikernel. Grrrrrrr...

Next idea? Open to any..almost ready to reformat the entire drive, thinking that perhaps the Win XP Pro install is messed up.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Hi,
    Jumping in late. First: As to your InstallSheild error message; have you looked at MSFT KB810608: Error in Ikernel.exe When You Install Programs By Using InstallShield?

Second thought: In an answer to kablinb you mentioned discrepancies between Device Manager and what is actually connected. You can try to see if there are any "ghost" devices, not removed but should not be there. Take a look at <post:=475,091>post 475,091</post:> to show non present devices. Just be careful, there certainly can be devices that appear dim, i.e. non present that should NOT be removed. It can be a modem not connected to PC for the moment etc.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Tried to do what MSFT KB810608 said, but I got the reply that it could not find the files I was trying to expand. The first 2 files were there on the windowssystem32 folder, but not the last one

There were ghost devices listed for the keyboard and mouse, but they were the same titles as the generic ones listed as installed. I can live with the keyboard not being recognized, but I need to get the VPN set-up done for my job. I am seriously considering a complete reformat of my hard drive at this point, thinking that Windows itself is messed up.