Thread: MailForMadamX

New Lounger
    Thanks

MailForMadamX

In Woody's Windows Watch #4.10, there is a description of a really cool way of creating mail messages to recipients with an inserted attachment. Because I have Windows 98/Office 97 installed on my work computer, connected to a Windows NT based network, I used the registry path method to create a registry entry for sending mail to my boss.

When I do the right click thing in Explorer, an Outlook email message pre-addressed to my boss appears, but the attachment is not there. I looked up the Microsoft Outlook help and it says that if you want to create an email with an attachment, you need the command switch

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: MailForMadamX

why /a %1? if you are clicking on the file and choosing to send to, you need just hte %1, not the /a switch. That is only need for a true command line,where the file is not already selected.

"C:Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeOfficeOutlook.exe" /c ipm.note /m madamx@geekgirls.com "%1"

will send the selected file to the address entered. it does work with office xp if the path to outlook is corrected - i would guess that maybe outlook is not in the correct path in office 97 either.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: MailForMadamX

I can't use Send To, because I am using Windows 98, and as Rose says, Send To ignores command line switches in Windows versions prior to WinMe and Win2k. I am using Rose's alternative method.

You are correct in that I don't need the /a. What I did find though, was that the registry patch code supplied in WWW #4.10 did not put the quotes (") around the %1. When I edited the registry to put the quotes there and tried the right click shortcut on a file on my C drive, I got the error from Outlook "The system cannot find the file specified".

This is not a problem with the path to Outlook, because it is in the standard place and without those quotes, it was firing up Outlook with an email to the boss, but without the attached file!

It's got me beat!