2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

3rd party macro's (2000)

Is there a way to view third party macro's installed by that third party ? For instance, WinFaxPro - when you allow it to - will add their macro's to Word and Excell etc. But, they are locked from viewing or modifying. I believe Adobe does the same. If there is no way to view/modify, how can I uninstall them ? Or, where are they stored (what's the file name) ?

Thanks in advance for your time.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: 3rd party macro's (2000)

If the code has been locked for viewing by the manufacturer, there is no legal way to unlock and view it. See Phil Rabichow's <!post=Systematic Approach to Behavioral Problems in Word (97/2000),197827>Systematic Approach to Behavioral Problems in Word (97/2000)<!/post> - it'll tell you how to find out what add-ins have been installed.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

It is not difficult to unlock and view VBA code, but that does no good as third parties (who know what they are doing) put most/all of the code into compiled DLLs so you cannot view the code.

In any case, being able to view the code has no effect on whther the macros can be removed.
    How to do that will depend on how the macros got there in the first place.

Thanks

Whenever a template is loaded from Word's Startup folder, its modules are always inaccessible in the Visual Basic editor. To try to view those modules, open the template directly (either through File>Open or, in Windows Explorer, right-click the file and choose Open rather than the default double-click action of New). You might find that the code isn't password-protected after all. Of course, if it is, the protection historically has been so weak that simply opening the template in OpenOffice.org or StarOffice would reveal the regular code modules.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

jscher2000,
    I'd like to explore the option of opening in OpenOffice. Can you give me the sequence ? I've opened the Normal.dot and then opened macros and cannot get to them. Maybe they are in compiled dll's ???
    Thanks.

Thanks

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by jscher2000 on 22-Nov-05 13:50. )</P>Check in your Word Startup folder for the global templates. If there aren't any global templates there, then you may be correct that they are actually DLL files (e.g., COM Add-ins), in which case OpenOffice won't be able to work with them.

Added: I think Word might check two different startup locations, or maybe three: the one specified under Tools>Options..., File Locations; the All Users start folder, if any; and a folder under Program FilesMicrosoft Office... This is something I've read about but my memory is too fuzzy to be certain.