3 Star Lounger
    Las Vegas, Nevada, USA

Secutity, Attachment Security Macro Security et al (Outlook 2003 SP2)

My Office on my pc at work has just has just been upgraded. In the previous version of Outlook I could copy a shortcut into a Task. Double-click on the shortcut would open the file, and by default, the file's extension would open the applicable program.
    When I first tried this after the install, my old tasks appeared, but the shortcuts were missing. A dialog box at the top of the task said that attachments had been blocked. I probably should have come here first, but I googled the error message and found links to suggestions that I edit my registry and so on. One site "Vision Tech" offered a program to disable the security by link type (extension). So with that, I can now open the tasks and see the shortcuts I originally placed in them.
    But the next step has me even more confounded. Now that I can click on the shortcut, Outlook wants me to save the link, presumably so that anti-virus can scan it. Well, that defeats the whole purpose of the link I pasted into the Task in the first place, which was to save me the trouble of navigating to a link to click on.
    Is there a workaround to this? I sure can't find anything that looks like a Security option.

Silicon Valley, USA

Re: Secutity, Attachment Security Macro Security e

Attachment security is a bit of a blunt instrument: Microsoft meant well, but as in your case, what makes sense for messages coming from the Internet doesn't really make sense for tasks.

Frankly, it has been a long time since I looked into this, and now that we are using Exchange, I suspect that some of my options might be under the control of the server administrator. If you can't find a workaround in the MSKB, perhaps there is something in the security articles at Slipstick?