4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

A drive erased without warning (Home/SP2)

Afternoon -

I tried to copy a (large) file to A drive which already had an unedited version of the file on it, and got message that the file was too large. It then erased what had been on A:.

I think I had read about this here a while ago --giving a way to NOT erase what was on A (to not complete the new save to A) or to have a warning message.

Does memory serve?

Thank you,
    Curious

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: A drive erased without warning (Home/SP2)

Floppy disk technology is becoming obsolete today. At the same time quality of floppy drives declines significantly. I see very often that new, out-of-the-box computer is unable to read properly formatted (on another computer) floppy disk because heads on the drive do not match a position of formatted clusters.

I think what was happened on your computer, after trying to read file allocation table, your drive "lost" or somehow damaged these clusters. To erase "fully" a floppy disk the drive needs several minutes. To damage FAT (that is "table of contents", without which computer does not "know" what is on the disk), it needs couple of seconds.

First, try to read your floppy on another computer. If it is unusable, you can try to recover your data using one of the DOS-based recovery programs, as Windows 98 Scandisk.

But the best solution is to get a removable USB drive (flash drive, jump drive) - they are really inexpensive now - and use it instead of floppies.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: A drive erased without warning (Home/SP2)

Thank you for your reply.

It seems the problem occurs when the file to be copied is almost at the limit of the capacity of the floppy and then just erases what was on the floppy. So, I guess I will have to keep looking at the size before I copy it over...and yes, your point about the USB is well taken.