2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Home Network Cable? (WinXP Home)

I want to network my 2 computers at home (both WinXP Home) so we can share an ADSL internet line. What kind of cable do I need?
    Many thanks

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Home Network Cable? (WinXP Home)

The cheapest way is a "crossover ethernet cable", assuming both your PCs have ethernet cards, or ethernet on the motherboard.

You will probably have to Google to find what you need to do to set up the computers at each end -- or wait for someone knowledgeable to post!

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

For what it's worth I think you'd be much better off "traffic-wise" if you DON'T use a crossover cable but buy a router instead. Using a router enables the two (or more) computers to independently use the internet, without regard for the status of the other computer. Routers are not expensive and fairly easy to setup. You also gain some degree of "security" in that the two computers would use "internal only" IP addresses and be somewhat shielded from the bad guys out there.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Also, I believe that a ADSL line requires a NIC connection, so the "Host" machine would need two of them, one for the modem and one for the "Cross over". So the best route is the Router as BigAl suggested.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Dave, you are entirely correct, assuming that the ADSL modem does not have a USB connection to the first PC. Fairly obviously, if the first PC DOES have a USB connection it would always have to be powered up for the second PC to be able to use the internet? Could be messy...

Fortunately non-wireless routers are now pretty cheap, not much more than about $50...

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hey, great advice. Thanks so much.