Lounger
    Thanks

Printer causes slow boot (Windows XP Home Edition)

Subject edited by HansV to aid in future searches - "Windows XP Home Edition (Windows XP Home Edition)" was not very descriptive

I have Windows XP Home Edition and have installed a Canon i470D printer down to installing it with the printer driver only without the entire print suite and each time it is installed the boot up time for my computer goes from approx. 30 seconds to approx. 3 minutes. If I unplug the USB cable from the printer it boots fine. Does anyone have any idea why this particular printer would be causing such a problem? I have downloaded the newest driver from Canon as well.

Thanks in advance for any help!
    Glenn

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Printer causes slow boot (Windows XP Home Edit

I've never had a Canon so I don't know if it's the nature of that beast to take so long initializing. Just for the heck of it, check Folder Options, View to make sure there's not a tick mark in that box for searching for network folders and printers. Then take a look in your MSCONFIG Startup tab to see if Canon has started any kind of monitoring program that you could live without. I know you said you didn't install any of the extras, but the driver might have done something too.

Thanks

Re: Printer causes slow boot (Windows XP Home Edit

Is the printer powered up when you boot?
    Have you tried other USB ports?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Printer causes slow boot (Windows XP Home Edition)

I'll pile on.

Have you tried a different USB cable altogether, or if possible, a parallel cable connection instead? What all of this is getting to is eliminating USB as the possible culprit.
    -Mark