2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

No-Fat diet suggestions, please

My wife, after much pain, has just been diagnosed with an inflamed gall bladder and gallstones. Once the stones are dealt with, (either with ultrasound or surgery), I
    Regards,

Steve

"A good friend will help you move; a really good friend will help you move a body"

Thanks

Re: No-Fat diet suggestions, please

Oh, I feel for her - really I do. In the end, I was living on crackers. I couldn't believe it when my surgeon told me that many people deliberately delay surgery in order to lose weight!
    We tried to stay with normal foods - just adapting our cooking methods. And if we slipped up - I could tell right away!
    [b]Catharine Richardson (WebGenii)
    WebGenii Home Page
    Moderator: Spreadsheets, Other MS Apps, Presentation Apps, Visual Basic for Apps, Windows Mobile

Thanks

While I would not want to live without being able to eat fat, I did follow a vegan-super-lowfat diet for a while. The McDougal books and some others were helpful; there also was a magazine article in Sunset at the time with "how to" for things like browning onions without fat. It turned out to be a lot of work to build up the layers of flavor, so it's important to cook in large quantities so you can reheat for later meals.

Also, whole eggs may be out but egg whites are fat free.

Lounger
    Thanks

Steve, one of my favorite no-fat tricks is making "cream cheese" from non-fat yogurt. (I hope she can have dairy if it's nonfat?) There are various ways to do this, but here's how I make it:

Put some cheesecloth (or netting or pantyhose!) over the top of a jar of non-fat yogurt. Turn it upside-down over a bowl or another jar, supported, so that it has room to drip. Leave it overnight. The liquid will drain out, leaving a delicious (and I do mean delicous) creamy "cream cheese". Sweeten it and use it as a dessert. (add sweetener or sugar, and add crushed graham crackers & a fruit topping, and voila -- cheesecake!) Use in a recipe in place of cream cheese or sour cream. Or Stir french onion soup mix or ranch dressing mix into it to make a dip. Just use your imagination.

-BarB