2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Front End Doesn't Seem to Talk With the Back End (Access 2000)

All of a sudden my DB stopped functioning. I was merely updating a record and all of a sudden I received a message that someone else had changed the data of the record I was working on and do I want to save or cancel. I chose cancel and then I received the error message "Record has been deleted". This now happens whenever I try to access any data. A co-worker tried to use the same DB from his computer and it didn't work either. I tried a compact and repair as well as a refresh table links (it is a split DB) but there was no effect. When I look in the back-end, all the data is there, except for one record that says #deleted. Does anyone out there know what happened and how to solve such a problem? Thanks!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Front End Doesn't Seem to Talk With the Back End (Access 2000)

It sounds like the backend database got corrupted. Unfortunately, this happens from time to time with Access; a slight hickup in the network connection can cause it.

Can you delete the record that says #deleted? If not, you can try Jet Compact, a free utility from Microsoft. It comes with a Word document that explains how to use it.

You can also try to import all tables from the backend into a blank new database. If that works, rename or move the original backend and rename the new database so that it takes the place of the old one.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Front End Doesn't Seem to Talk With the Back End (Access 2000)

Thanks for your reply, Hans. I was able to delete the #deleted record and the DB then worked perfectly. The only problem was that I lost the record that I was working on when the network "glitch" occured. Fortunately I had a hard-copy of a report I printed only a few hours earlier and was able to manually re-enter the data. I hope that this sort of thing won't happen too often (like for the next 10 years would be sufficient!)
    Thanks for your sage advice, Hans, you saved the day!
    Joe