5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Wireless Router AND AP?

My home network was running solely on an old SMC Barricade router (wired only) until I decided to try out a Netgear wireless music player. Got a Netgear WAP and got everything running. BUT the music player can only do WEP security.

Today I managed to get an apparently dead Linksys WRT54G router to come back to life. After a firmware upgrade, it can do WPA. Is there some way I can retire the Barricade in favor of the Linksys, have the Netgear AP continue to talk WEP to the music player, but have anything else go through the Linksys and use WPA?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Wireless Router AND AP?

If I understand correctly, you want to have selected applications choose which wireless router to use, correct?
    -Mark

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

WyllyWylly,

>> If I understand correctly, you want to have selected applications choose which wireless router to use, correct? <<

Nope, I want ONE wireless device (the music player) to connect through the Access Point (using WEP), and every other wireless device to connect through the wireless router (using WPA).

Lounger
    Thanks

Your WAP is connected via cable to your wireless router which would connect to a modem to the internet (in a basic, standard set-up). That is one wireless network. Your router has cable that go out to another computer (or more) and you wish to use the wireless router to set up another wireless network. Is this the basic set up your looking for? I never set up a system like this and I am not sure you can. Even if you could the two wireless networks would not be able to talk to one another. Why not run the music player through the wireless router with the rest of your network? It would provide the same security and would be simpler to run and update.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

TravlingMan,

>> Your WAP is connected via cable to your wireless router which would connect to a modem to the internet (in a basic, standard set-up). That is one wireless network. Your router has cable that go out to another computer (or more) and you wish to use the wireless router to set up another wireless network. Is this the basic set up your looking for? <<

Nope. If all the devices I have could do WPA, then I would scrap the Netgear WAP and just use the wireless part of the Linksys router. BUT since the music player can only do WEP, I would have to lower the security of all the other devices, with such a setup.

>> I never set up a system like this and I am not sure you can. Even if you could the two wireless networks would not be able to talk to one another. Why not run the music player through the wireless router with the rest of your network? It would provide the same security and would be simpler to run and update. <<

I don't think so. If I can't use both the WAP and the wireless part of the Linksys, I suppose I'd have to disable the radio in the Linksys and just use it as a wired router, with the Netgear WAP plugged into one of the LAN ports, and live with WEP security until I can replace the music player with something that speaks WPA.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

I believe you'd beable to have different ESSID's on your Linksys, and Netgear devices. Then, on your computers, match the ESSID to the Linksys box, and the music device's ESSID to the Netgear.
    Christopher Baldrey

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Chris,

>> I believe you'd beable to have different ESSID's on your Linksys, and Netgear devices. Then, on your computers, match the ESSID to the Linksys box, and the music device's ESSID to the Netgear. <<

I reset the Netgear WAP to its defaults, and then plugged it into the Linksys. Picked up an IP address just fine, and so did the music player. Now to decipher Netgear's instructions on configuring WEP [img]/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]