3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook Rules (Outlook 2000)

I would like some explanation as to what is happening with some rules that have been created. We are on an Exchange Server. All rules are working OK but I am puzzled by what shows up Rules Wizard dialog box. All rules are the same -- after the message arrives from certain person, move to a certain folder.

In the Apply Rules in the follow order section, I show rules that just have the user name (Joe Brown); others have client only behind the name (Sam Smith client only); while others have the person's name followed by an email address (Dick Smith dicksmith@anymail.com)

From my study I believe that the client only refers to the fact that I am moving the message to a local folder, while the name without client only is indicating that the folder is on the Exchange Server. However, I created all of the folders, so why would some be local and others not.

Any explanation would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Outlook Rules (Outlook 2000)

You can create both Server and PST Folders ... is that the difference? Rules using Server Folders will be Server-side and operate at all times the Server is available, while Rules using a PST will be client side and only operate while Outlook Client (user-end) is open. Post back if this doesn't help, as I'm not sure I understand the problem.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I am just curious as to why some are coming up with client only while others do not when all folders have been created the same way, and why some names would come up as for example Joe Brown and others have both the name and the email address. It is not causing any problems it just that as I said I am curious as to what may be causing the differences.

As for the Server and PST files, all folders are just created under the individual's mailbox. Example Outlook Today -[Mailbox - Brown, John].

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Solved my problem. The names that had client only behind had a notification message as part of the rule. I am guessing that because there is a notification, that the client only is added as Outlook has to be running in order for the receiver to get notified.

As for some names appearing as Joe Brown (joebrown@anymail.com) is the result of the Display as feature in Contacts. If the Display as feature has Joe Brown (joebrown@anymail.com) it will display as this. If it is only Joe Brown it will display as this. Different users have different display names.

Thanks.