Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

normal.dot location (WordXP SP3)

Hello

I was wondering where the best location to house the users Normal.dot on their c:drive?
    The users will customise their normal.dot, add autotext entries, toolbars etc. Sometimes their normal.dot will accidentally get deleted/overwritten.

we have 2 directorys stored on the local C: drive which contain our custom word templates.
    C:Program filesMicrosoft OfficeTemplateslLocalTemplates
    C:Program filesMicrosoft OfficeTemplatesGlobalTemplates

We moved the templates to the local C: drive off the network, so users can work locally off the lan, and on laptops etc.

The normal.dot is in the directory LocalTemplates.

Words File Locations is set to the following:
    Documents: C:documents & settingsusers ProfilesMy documents
    clipart: C:documents & settingsusers ProfilesMy documents
    User templates: C:Program filesMicrosoft OfficeTemplateslocalTemplates
    Workgroup templates: network location
    AutoRecover files: C:Autosave
    Tools: C:Program filesMicrosoft OfficeOffice10
    Startup: C:Program filesMicrosoft OfficeTemplatesGlobalTemplates

I have moved the normal.dot from the directory Localtemplates to the profile location eg.
    C:documents & settingsusers ProfilesApplication DataMicrosoftTemplatesNormal.dot

When I open up Word with the above file locations - I cant access my autotext entries in the normal.dot
    If we store the normal.dot in the Profile directory - then we will have backups of the normal.dot on the network, as their roaming profiles get copied upto the network.

Any ideas where best to store the normal.dot under my circumstances?
    diana

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: normal.dot location (WordXP SP3)

It sounds like these questions are best answered by your network admins but here is a few things to think about.

Since someone has gone to the effort of creating the path "C:Program filesMicrosoft OfficeTemplatesLocalTemplates" then this appears to be the logical place to store all your personal templates (including Normal.dot). If you need this file backed up to the network then you need to ensure that that folder is backed up by the network administrators. This is likely to not be catered for in your current setup but may be included in the roaming profiles scripts.

Do you know what exactly gets copied to/from the network as part of the roaming profiles setup? Is this the entire User Profile or a subset of that potentially large folder? Do other folders such as the local templates also get copied?

If you have roaming profiles coupled with standalone functionality - ie you want to be able to log in to other machines and have the same templates available. If this is the case then you need to store all files locally and run scripts to copy updates to the local hard disk when starting your machine on the network and other scripts to copy to the network when closing your machine. These scripts are typically created by network admins.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you Andrew.

Yes the admin guys have come to me for a solution.

Currently when the user logs off only a subset of the User profile gets copied back up to the network. Ive tested and placed the normal.dot under the Profile directory . I ve placed the normal.dot in 2 different locations:
    cocuments & settingsusernameApplication DataMicrosoftOfficeNormal.dot
    cocuments & settingsusernameApplication DataMicrosoftWordStartupNormal.dot
    Ive left the other 2 template directories and have removed the normal.dot from the local directory.

The result is when I start up Word - it doesnt read the autotext entrys from this normal.dot.

Ive moved the normal.dot into the location
    C:Progam FilesMicrosoft OfficeOffice10Startup

The result is: I can access the normal.dot autotext entries.

If the normal.dot is moved to the Office10Startup directory then the admin guys would have to write a script , to compare the date stamps and then do a copy up to the network of normal.dot , and copy back down from the network to the local pc.

many thanks Andrew
    Diana

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Andrew

Thanks for your reply.

At the time of my testing. I didnt have 2 instances of normal.dot. Ive moved the normal.dot from:
    C:Program filesMicrosoft OfficeTemplateslocalTemplates.

to:
    cocuments & settingsusernameApplication DataMicrosoftOffice

Ive spoken with the admin guys either way we go they will have to write a script to copy the Normal.dot.

OK many thanks Andrew for you help
    Diana :-)

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Diana

The Normal.dot should be located in the User Templates path. From your earlier post this is (User templates: C:Program filesMicrosoft OfficeTemplateslocalTemplates).

Loading a second instance of Normal through the Startup directory doesn't sound like a good idea to me and is going to be confusing at the very least.

I would probably either:
    1. Change the User Templates path on each machine to point at cocuments & settingsusernameApplication DataMicrosoftOffice and pick up the user templates copied already by your scripts
    2. Create a logon/logoff script to update the Normal.dot (when needed) in C:Program filesMicrosoft OfficeTemplateslocalTemplates.

Both options would work and prove easier to manage than adding a Normal to a startup path.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia