New Lounger
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Memo fields & start up forms (XP (2002))

I have two questions.

I have an unbound form that on a button event reads data from a table (via SQL string in code) that populates a text box from a memo field. However, the text is truncated. I suspect this is because of a limitation within returning data via a query or code based query as if I make a bound form using the same data, the memo is not truncated in the text box.

My question is this, how do I overcome this (if possible) or do I have to create a popup form or the like to display the full data?

I have in the Startup properties (Tools etc) that a tabbed form will be the opening form. It works fine on my machine but not on my users, even though they have the normal Access build. Does anyone know if this is a function of a tabbed form (I'm going to experiment tomorrow with using a simple form as the startup & see what happens then) or is the users configuration?

Thank you

Robin

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Memo fields & start up forms (XP (2002))

1) Do you apply a format to the memo field in the SQL string? Formatting a memo field is known to cause truncation to 255 characters. Otherwise, there should be no problem populating a text box using code.

2) Many of my databases use a tabbed form as startup form, and users have never had problems with it. What is the problem your users experience?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Odd form behavior such as that can occur when users have a different build of Jet (meaning they have a different SP ... or none) installed. Office updates do not imply Jet updates.
    Charlotte

New Lounger
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Thanks Hans & Charlotte. I have found the problem with the memo field. Simple. However, the business with this form is still perplexing but I think I may know the reason.

All the databases I build for work use the Date Picker ActiveX control. On this particular form, I had already 3 of them on various tabs and was placing another when I started to get compile errors about it (I compile all the time just to check). The code was OK, it was the same (except for the control names of course) as the previous date picker controls. After that, though, this form started to exibit strange behaviour, so much so that I had to remove all other date picker controls and replace them with text fields. My suspicion is that the underlying structure of that form became corrupted in some way or other by the date picker control. How I don't know but every machine in my organisation has the same configuration and patches etc. I am now in the process of creating a new form using the code from the corrupted one and so far, this is working just fine.

Once finished, I am going to do 2 extra tasks.

1. Create a new database and import all from this one to the new one and then destroy this one.
    2 Replace the text fields for dates with date picker and see what happens. I will be doing this on a backup of course.

One question: have you ever heard of problems using the date picker control?

Thanks for your help.

Robin

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The VB6 ActiveX controls (of which the Date/Time Picker is an example) don't work really well with Access, there are strange problems. I usually try to avoid them.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I have used it without problems. In fact, I've attached a demo database in 2000 format that shows some examples of using the DateTimePicker, as well as the Calendar and Monthview controls. The demo is in 2000 format and will run nicely in XP.
    Charlotte