Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Lockout (97 & 2003)

I copied an Access 97 db (front end and back end) from another computer into my computer which runs Access 2003. However, when I tried to run the Linked Table Manager I found it greyed out! The same with Get External Data and several other functions. As far as I know there were no such limitations put on the original A97 files. Any ideas on what's going on here? I temporarily got around the problem by creating a new db and copying both front and backend data into it, but this shouldn't really be necessary.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Lockout (97 & 2003)

Did you open the Access 97 database in Access 2003 without converting it? Check the title bar of the database window for the database format.
    If the database is in Acces 97 format, you can't create new objects, link tables etc. To be able to do that, you must convert the database to Access 2000 (or Access 2002/2003) format: select Tools | Database Utilities | Convert Database | To ...

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Lockout (97 & 2003)

Hi Hans,

As usual you hit the nail on the head. I had remembered that 2003 would open a 97 database, but I forgot that it would not permit changes without converting it. Thanks for reminding me.