Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lounger
    Thanks

OE6 sends & sends & sends (6.00.2900.2180)

OE6 in WinXP Pro in new-ish and stable system today has become an spammer. E-mail is SENT although an error report indicates that it did not. Message remains in OUTBOX and is continually sent. Message never gets to SENT folder. I have to delete it. I did IMPORT backups of previous WinXP Pro OE6 machine today and compressed the files. Any ideas on how to get this thing on track again? The knowledge base stuff on MS does not address OE, only OUTLOOK etc, etc.

Thanks

Re: OE6 sends & sends & sends (6.00.2900.2180)

Linus,

Have you run any or ALL of the suggested Malware progs, like AdAware, Spybot And Hijack?
    Check out post by KenK <post#=296,439>post 296,439</post#> for links to them.

If that doesn't work, I would consider a Repair reinstall of XP.

Do you have the SP2 installed?
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Lounger
    Thanks

Yes I have SP2 installed. I also have, sigh, Norton AV. I have disabled NAV and run a test which showed no changes but NAV has bitten me so often I still wonder. The MSKnowledge Base items seem to point first to damaged messages. I will give an anti- malware prog a shot tomorrow although I do run ZoneAlarm Pro which has some prtection along those lines.

Thanks

Besides your Anti-virus and firewall programs, you will find that most Loungers have and use at least AdAware SE & Spybot S&D & the MS malware protect programs regularly.

It seems that one prog will pick out some problems and the others will pick out things that the other missed. Thus, what seems to be redundancy is just insurance that things don't slip through the cracks.

Give then all a shot.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Have you tried working Offline, then moving the message from the Outbox to Drafts? Once you do that, put OE back online and resend the message from the Drafts folder. You might also want to check ZAP to see if OE has rights to act as a server (it should).

Added later: I should have reread your post. You said that the message was sent, but that it just hangs in the Outbox, and never moves to the Sent folder. How do you know it was actually sent? Do you have confirmation from a recipient of the message? Although malware may be causing this behavior, it sounds more like an OE glitch to me, and that the message is not actually making it to your ISP -- therefore, it's hanging up in the Outbox. I've seen this happen in Outlook, and moving the message to the Drafts folder (when in Offline mode) works. The other poster is, however, dead-on correct in that you should install -- and USE -- multiple anti-spyware programs (updated, of course).

Lounger
    Thanks

I know that it is being sent from the OUTBOX because I have successfully, too successfully, sent a number of e-mails to another account of my own. The sending account is on cable and is polled every 5 minutes. Sure as a clock, every five minutes one --- or two --- e-mails go through the NAV outgoing check and arrive in my other account. I also know that I cannot right click and MOVE TO ANOTHER FOLDER. I get an error message. And I know that I get a small error icon in the lower tight hand corner of the bar along the bottom of Inbox-Outlook Express window. It goes away sometime after DELETEing a message in the OUTBOX.
    I have downloaded and run ADWAR & SPYBOT plus forec a ZoneAlarm scan. They all caught a few tracking items but nothing too surprizing nor alarming. That cleanup and several often salubrious reboots have not fixed the problem. What next?

Thanks

<hr>I cannot right click and MOVE TO ANOTHER FOLDER. I get an error message<hr>
    What, exactly, does the error message say?

<!mskb=263837>Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 263837<!/mskb> has instructions on how to remove and reinstall OE if the problem can't be solved.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

Lounger
    Thanks

I SELECT the message in OUTBOX with right click and then Choose MOVE TO FOLDER. An Explorer tree appears to browse for a folder in IE6. I select any one and I get an error window which says, duh, "An error has occured." Cool, eh, what?
    I really believe IMPORTing (ingesting?) those older e-mails has given my system a tummy trouble --- it is fairly important to me to have those messages. A lot of data is there. The same, exactly the same CD, versions of WinXP & EO6 plus updates are in use between this system and the other one. There were never any problems like this on the other system.

Thanks

Well, my OE doesn't browse IE6 folders - it browses OE folders (see screen shot). It's possible that something in your OE is corrupt. That's why I included the link with the removal and reinstallation instructions.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

Lounger
    Thanks

My bad. OE6 folders are what I meant. I started to write earlier "IE6 tree", then caught myself only part way.
    Yep, I think a re-install is in order. Then we'll see what happens. Thanks

Lounger
    Thanks

Well, I've deleted abnd reconstittuted OE6 with reboots between each step. I still have the same problem. sigh.

Thanks

Like I said in my first post,
    Have you tried a REPAIR reinstall of XP?
    BOB

Today it is called golf!

Lounger
    Thanks

How is a REPAIR install different from uninstalling via Add & Remove Programs and then having A&R Programs re-install?

Thanks

I'm talking about a repair reinstall of the WINXP <big>operating system itself</big> , not a particular program.

You have to boot to your WIN XP CD and go to the second instance of "repair" mentioned, in order to repair the OS without changing your other apps.

You may also have to change the boot order in the BIOS to have it boot to the CD first before the Hard Drive.
    Let me know if you don't know how to do this.
    BOB

Today it is called golf!

Lounger
    Thanks

Did this resolve the situation? I'm having the exact same problem ... I sent about a dozen e-mails earlier today, then all of a sudden they started hanging up in the Outbox. Putting them in the Draft folder and then sending works only some of the time. If I leave it in the Outbox, it resends every five minutes.

I have Microsoft Windows Home Edition 5.1. Would I do the same steps?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast