4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Email Account details (Office 2003 SP2)

Can anyone tell me if the .srs file contains details of email accounts. The Outlook help file give a whole list of "Outlook Files", but doesn't say specifically where the account info is stored.

Having re-formatted my HDD recently, and then having to do it again as I didn't like how I did it, I got very fed up re-entering all my account details with the various accounts I hold.

Next time, I'd like to have it all ready to go.

Thanks

Colin

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Email Account details (Office 2003 SP2)

From File Extension Details for .SRS:
    <hr>A Send/Receive Settings file is stored data collected from Outlook's Send/Receive Settings message box located on Outlook's toolbar under Options | Mail Setup. This data, usually defined through options selected by a network administrator or by default, provides the information needed for handling incoming and outgoing Send/Receive Groups, which carter to and collect information from E-mail service providers that have unique protocols (eg., HotMail, Yahoo, Comcast, etc.). However, this file (OUTLOOK.SRS) is not created until the first run of Outlook for each messaging profile. This .SRS file cannot be copied to other workstations and must be registered on the workstation with the Outlook messaging profile.<hr>
    HTH

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks

That sounds as if it doesn't contain the actual account details.

Does anyone one know where that info is stored, and can it be backed up manually

Colin

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Profile information is stored in the Windows registry, in

HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftWindows NTCurrentVersionWindows Messaging SubsystemProfiles

You can export the subkey for your profile to a .reg file, but I don't know if you can restore the profile by importing the .reg file - I wouldn't do it unless someone else confirms that it is possible.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I'll reaearch that thanks.

In the meantime, I've just found an article on how to create a PRF file using the ORK, so I'll go away and read all that as well.

Thanks

Colin