Star Lounger
    Thanks

synchronising outlook files

Sorry - I know this must have been discussed ad nauseam but what is the best way to synchronise outlook 2000 files? I have a notebook and a desktop. While I am away (weeks at a time), both me and my secretary are sending and receiving emails. One my return I am faced with two different *.pst files. Any source of a simple "how to" would be appreciated.

TIA

Richard Joss

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: synchronising outlook files

Here's what I've done in the past - it's not elegant, but it works. Pick one machine to be the "master" .pst. On the other machine, select Tools > Services > (Select the service on the service tab) > Properties > Advanced. On that dialog box, near the bottom is a Delivery section. Check the box in front of "Leave a copy of messages on server" - that way the message will be left on the server until the "master" PC picks it up. The above directions are for Corporate/Workgroup; I know from past experience that there's an equivalent option for Internet Mail Only as well. Unfortunately, that only addresses the incoming messages; if I needed a message from the "slave" system badly enough, I sent it to a Hotmail account, then switched to the other system and forwarded it back to myself.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi - thanks for your reply. I sort of do this at the moment and, as you observe, send myself copies so that both machines pick up the out-going mail as well.

However, it is very inefficient is'nt it? I also tend to copy the latest *.pst file from one machine to another. But this has it's downside too - what happens is that when I log on with my notebook after several weeks it insists in downloading the last 70-80 messages that are still on the server, even if the lastest file copied over from another machine already has those messages included!

Finally, I use the internet mail only version and cannot look at the messages on the server before downloading. Do you have the same problem?

As an aside, I heard such wondrous stories about the MVPs or whatever the gurus on these sites are called but they seem strangely silent on this one? <g>

Regards

Richard

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

everyone is silent because there is no easy way to sync psts, only lame hacks.

you can try using an online service - visto or fusionone. some like it, others don't.

internet mode doesn't have a remote mail feature, you can try other mail utilities, such as magicmail or eremove, that let you look at mail on pop servers and delete spam etc.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, it's very inefficient. Your situation is much worse than mine ever was, though. I was just trying to keep my office PC in sync with my home PC; simply replacing both PC's with a desktop replacement laptop solved my problem. Not being able to preview messages isn't really a problem for me, I've got an ADSL line at home as well as at the office; even large attachments aren't much of an irritation.
    - Bob

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Mary - thanks for replying - I feared as much. Do you, by any chance, know if Outlook 2002 improves on the sync. situation?

I would be quite prepared to dump outlook altogether if there was any package that incorporates diary, contacts and email etc? Do you know of anything?

Regards

Richard

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

no, outlook 2002 is not any better.

i'm not aware of any complete package - there are other PIMs and there are other mail clients.