3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

XP desktop fonts (XP Pro SP1)

I've reached the age where i need to resize my desktop appearance so I have gone through the Display Properties, Appearence, Advanced and edited the font to Century Gothic (I like it, but it could be another) and reset the size from 8 to 10 throughout the various options.

XP has a habit of restoring the font size to 8 and the font to Tahoma just about every time I log off and log back on.

I heard that using any of the XP themes for appearances defeats changes so I tried using XP classic but found the fonts resize to the smaller size.

My eyesight is such that I am really frustrated by this so I doggedly change the font type and size back to what I prefer but I got to believe others have run into this and I may be missing an easier, permanent method of making these changes.

Any tips or pointers for XP Pro?

TIA,

Jester
    I know enough to know I don't know enough

Thanks

Re: XP desktop fonts (XP Pro SP1)

Jester,
    I'm not trying to be a wise guy but you <big>DID</big> click on the "apply" button before you OK'd out?
    It should stick after you change unless you are entering an old program that might not like the new fonts.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Let's see.... I change the display properties so they are what I want. I continue working in XP for the remainder of my session contentedly enjoying the changed font size.

The desktop wallpaper reverts back to something other than what I have previously chosen when "apply" is clicked and I have to reset the wallpaper after making the font changes. So apply is actually clicked twice.

As stated, upon logging out, logging back in, the fonts are no longer 10 but back to 8.

-Jester

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Have you looked at "Help & Support" then Accessibility on the left side of the page?

Joe
    Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks but I don't need the magnifier or assistance with sounds. I am trying to figure out why the font size reverts back to default after I set up the display the way I prefer. I don't believe there is a policy being applied at work but I will investigate that possibility.

The behavior is the same when using XP themes (default) or XP Classic.

-Jester

Administrator
    Thanks

Did you bother to read any of the topics that appear when you click on 'Features for peoplewho are blind or have impared vision'?

Joe
    Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, I did bother.

Sorry that you felt the need to respond with the assumption that I did not read the details. However I have changed the font size as explained in the "notes" and I have set the DPI to 105%. Some of the dialog boxes do not work well when the DPI setting is changed and menu options or buttons move off screen or behind a non-resizable window.

However, my question was centered upon why the font size reverts back from 10 to 8 and no one has supplied an answer.

As stated elsewhere I am investigating whether a policy is being applied at work.

-Jester

Administrator
    Thanks

After you have everything set as you wish, have you tried saving a new theme? Then make sure that theme is selected as the current theme.

Joe
    Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

The settings are saved but revert as described.

Changing the DPI to 105% under the custom option is pretty much what I want but when I checked the Outlook address book listing the fonts there were reduced and not anything like 105% of what they were.

I have asked some Outlook Exchange gurus to investigate.

I could not live with the results and changed back to normal and the Outlook address book is now back to a readable size.

-Jester