3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Styles and Templates (2002 SP3)

Hi y'all,

I just created a couple of styles and ticked the box that said "Add to template". The template to which this document would appear to be attached attached is Normal.

When I went into a different document that is also attached to Normal, I expected to see the styles that I had just added in the Available styles of the Styles and Formatting pane.

However I seem to have to go into the Organiser and copy the styles from Normal.doc into the Document.

Is this the only way to make new styles in the template available to existing documents based on that template?

TIA
    Regards
    Paul

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Styles and Templates (2002 SP3)

The new styles should be listed in Available styles. Are they listed when you select All styles in the Styles and Formatting task pane?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Just a random guess.

If the second document already had styles with the same names then you wouldn't get the new styles, unless you have checked Tools > Templates and Add-ins... > Automatically Update Document Styles.

StuartR

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

<hr>The new styles should be listed in Available styles. Are they listed when you select All styles in the Styles and Formatting task pane?<hr>
    That is where I expected to find them, but no they are not there.

However I have just discovered that if I go to Tools->Templates and Add-ins and check the box Automatically update document styles, then the new styles appear.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Be sure to then UNCHECK this checkbox.

If memory serves me, if another person opens your document, the styles will update to match THAT PERSON's NORMAL.DOT' style definitions. (so if Normal style is in Arial on your machine, and TNR on the next user's the doc font will now be in TNR) Since the document is based on "Normal.dot" and everyone has a Normal.dot, this is probably behavior that you do not want.