Star Lounger
    Southern Highlands, New South Wales, Australia
    Thanks

Word, Mail Merge

Word 2000, Win 98SE
    For a friends small business, I created a mail merge document and its associated data source file using the Word Merge Helper. It works fine. In fact it works fine twice!
    It seems that identical versions of the program exist on two machines in the office, "someone" having copied the original version from the server onto their local drive and used it there. Thus I have two data files. I wish to consolidate the two data source files into one file and remove the version on the local drive.
    Does anyone know how I can go about merging these two files into one?

John

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Word, Mail Merge

Hmmm.. if I had to tackle this, I am sure my method would be the long way round, but until a more knowledgeable person comes along, here's what I would do.

I would open up each database file in 'table view'. Assuming both tables still have the same columns and headings (fields), I would copy and paste one of the tables at the bottom of the other. Then I would sort the table alphabetically by (probably) the LastName column (assuming one exists). Then I would manually go down the table looking for duplicate entries and delete those rows.

As I said, there is probably a much better way, but I don't know it.

I have just re-read your post and I assume you meant 'identical versions of the DATABASE FILE exist on two machines' instead of 'identical versions of the PROGRAM exist on two machines'???

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Good one eggles, I'll give it a go.
    Yes there are two data files and there won't be any duplicate entries and the files don't have a lot of entries in them so your method may work quite neatly.
    Thanks

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, this would be the preferred method of reconciling these two data files into one and is a good solution.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Be sure to also zap the user's local copy of the main document. Otherwise, if (a) you remove the local data source, and ([img]/forums/images/smilies/cool.gif[/img] that user user opens the remaining local main file (presuming he/she saved it after "connecting" to the data source), then the user will receive an error because Word won't be able to locate the source. This can be worked around, but it's much easier to just remove the main document while you're there.
    Karen

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Eggles, just thought I'd let you know that I followed your idea and it worked like a charm. As it turned out there were only a couple of entries that had to be transferred and it was simple to cut and paste them.
    Thanks