Thread: Recycle Bin

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Recycle Bin

I am running W2000 and have a couple of hardrives. W2000 is loaded on the C-drive. I expect - and have - a RECYCLED directory on the C-drive. I didn't expect - and do have - a RECYCLED directory on each of the other hardrives (not partitions but actual hardrives). How do I stop W2000 from making/creating a RECYCLED directory on other hardrives ?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Recycle Bin

You don't, they are required by the OS.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

As pointed out by Dave A. above <post:=536,345>post 536,345</post:>, they're required by the operating system. Anything you put in them will be emptied when you empty the main Recycle Bin on the desktop, however, you can set the size of these other Recycle Bins so that they're smaller than the "regular" bin. Right-click the Recycle Bin on your desktop, and you'll see tabs where you can set the size of each bin (or, you can set them globally to a given amount). By default, Windows sets aside a rather large amount of hard disk space for the Recycle Bin; you may want a lesser amount to be held in reserve.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks....but,
    Through the command prompt I've been able to reset the attributes and remove the RECYCLED folders (directories) on all but the C-drive with no adverse affects on the operating system. My base question is still "How do I keep W2000 from re-creating a RECYCLED directory on hardrives other than the drive where windows is installed ?"

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Question: After doing your hack through the command prompt, do the recycle bin folders re-appear when you boot the computer? I would have expected Windows to re-create them on bootup.

Like the others, I thought that the OS would not allow you to "disallow" recycle bin use, and I don't want to take any chances at trying what you've done.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, when I re-boot W2000 re-creates the RECYCLED directories. This is what prompted the original question: How do I keep W2000 from re-creating them.

Hope you'all are having a great T-Giving Day.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I don't think you can prevent them from being recreated. What is your problem with them?