Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Missing Connection w/Juno (IE 6)

I'm trying to help a friend with a brand new Dell, XP Home, who is signed up with Juno. He can connect to Juno OK, and can go to various places on the Juno site. However, when trying to go to any other web page it pops up with a "can't connect" message. Any idea what's going on here?

Thanks

Re: Missing Connection w/Juno (IE 6)

Sometimes connection problems are caused by a failure to resolve a domain name to an IP address. For example:

http://www.traderjoes.com/ = http://164.109.153.107/

If the first one fails but the second one works, then there is a DNS resolution problem. This can be caused by settings on the PC, a hosts file, or failures by the ISP.

If Juno supplies a customized browser, it might also have "parental controls" or other features that block navigation.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

You may have a point regarding the customized Juno browser. What I fail to understand is why, once connected, I get a "can't connect" message when trying to go outside Juno (for example to google.com or elsewhere). He can access his email and probe other "help" pages on the Juno site, but gets the failed message when going anywhere else. I didn't think about parental controls and such, and I shall have to investigate that.

Thanks

All Juno pages will be local to your connection and Juno will know how to direct you to them. If you do not have a link to a Domain Name Server configured, Juno does not know where to connect you to.

Did you try the two links Jefferson gave you above? - if the numeric one works but the alphanumeric one doesn't, that would tend to point to there being a DNS issue.

In your Network > Inetrnet Protocol > Properties window, what do you have configured under DNS server address? If set to obtain an address automatically, this may be the problem. Try entering my local DNS IP addresses as in the attachment and see if that makes any difference, although I suspect you may be better off with a Juno DNS address if they have one.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: gif x.gif (4.0 KB, 0 views)

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Lief,

As soon as I can get back to my friend's computer I'll give the DNS links a try.