Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Picture bloat-again (2003)

Hi All,

I've done a search on the lounge to see if there have been previous posts on the subject. Found a few going back a few years. But none seemed to address this situation.

I wanted to insert a photo or piece of clipart, so I did a search for my topic (while online, so the search included the MS collections). I found what I wanted. While hovering over the picture, I got a tip telling me the HxV measurements and the total file size was about 427KB. I believe this was a jpeg formatted picture but don't recall for sure; I would not think this matters. I also looked at the file properties and was told the same thing as far as size goes (not a surprise).

I inserted the picture into my Word file. This file is tiny: 2 pages with page 1 being a cover page with a few lines of text and page 2 being a "TOC" page including a table referring to other documents (no links). Total size of the Word file is 45KB. When I checked the size of the Word file with the picture inserted - 3.5 MB!

One thing I should mention that I did to the picture: changed its layout so that it was behind the text and adjusted its brightness and contrast to give it a washed out look. I would not think that would add to the size of the picture but didn't try saving the Word file without these changes.

I also should mention that I may have inserted a few pictures into the Word document (maybe 3 or 4 at most) to see how they'd look and then deleted or undid them. When all was said and done, though, I only had the 427 KB picture in the document. Assuming for the moment that those 3 or 4 pictures are still "in" the file somewhere, I'd think the file size should be no more than 2MB.

I also tried an indirect method of inserting the picture. When looking at the picture in the clip task pane, I copied the picture to the clipboard. I pasted it into Irfanview and resaved the picture as a jpeg. Size of the file was now about 288KB (I think I chose a jpeg quality of 80% or so). When I reinserted the picture into the Word document (deleting the other), the Word file was about the same size - 3.5MB!

One more experiment: I opened the bloated file, selected all, copied to the clipboard, pasted into a new Word document, and saved. File size is now just a microscopic 328KB.

I also tried to select the pictue and see whether there was some EMBED field (per suggestions from the Search). I could not get a field code to show.

So the question is, what is happening with this file? Thoughts?

Thanks.

Fred

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Picture bloat-again (2003)

I don't think this answers your basic question, but....

In Word 2003 you can bring up the picture toolbar and see a new icon called "Compress Picture". This will reduce the size of the picture by deleting areas that have been cropped (but still stored in Word) and offer to reduce the quality of the picture (or all pictures in the doc). I have one doc that was reduced in size by about 30%.

Fred

Lounger
    Thanks

I have Word 2002 and had the same problem a few months ago. I don't know if it would be the same in 2003 but if you go to File Properties and remove the checkmark from the box at the bottom left "save preview picture". That did it for me.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

JPEG is a lossy compression format that makes for very small image file sizes. If you import a JPEG image into Word then the file size goes up by the JPEG size - BUT if you make any edits to the image then Word stores it in a different format (BMP?) which has much higher disk space requirements.

If you need to fiddle the image, do so in a separate image editor and then save the graphic as JPEG again and insert that into the document. Don't double click or otherwise edit the image once it is in Word or the file size will balloon again.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Fred,

Thanks for the tip. I don't work a lot with pictures, so any tip is useful. But in this case, I never cropped the picture. So what was there is what I was seeing.

Seems like selecting the contents and pasting into a new Word doc helped. I'll have to try the other suggestions to see if anything helps w/o that extra step.

Fred

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Andrew,

I did realize the doc file size should grow by the size of the picture. But when the 428KB jpeg inserted into a 45KB doc file resulted in 3.5MB, I knew there was something wrong.

Anyway, this was a picture of a family that I got from one of the "collections" (not mine). I inserted it. I think the only double clicking I did was on the picture and that just brought up the Format Picture dialogue. I definitely did not do any editing of it (not even cropping). So the mystery is still that.

Thks.

Fred

Super Moderator
    Thanks

<hr>One thing I should mention that I did to the picture: changed its layout so that it was behind the text and adjusted its brightness and contrast to give it a washed out look. I would not think that would add to the size of the picture but didn't try saving the Word file without these changes.<hr>
    Is editing the image

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

As Dave says - you did edit the picture. Double clicking the image tells Word that you want to edit the picture so it immediately converts the JPEG to its Bitmap format. Even if you then cancel the dialog it is too late as the horse has already bolted.

This is akin to opening a zipped file - the software has to unzip the image before it can show you the contents. The big difference is that Word will not rezip the image after you have finished looking at it.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Andrew, Dave,

While I hear what you guys are saying, I don't see that the numbers being reported support it.

Here's what I did.
    1. I took the same picture that caused the file to go from 45KB as a 2-page Word file with minimal text to 3.5MB with the picture inserted. I used Irfanview to save the picture as a jpeg and it was now 135KB.
    2. I inserted the picture into an empty Word doc and saved. The Word doc was 135 KB (which seemed strange). Exited the doc.
    3. Re-opened the doc with the picture, double-clicked the pic, clicked cancel on Format Picture, saved the doc and closed it. File size is still 135 KB altho I'm not sure anything was saved since the time-stamp was a minute off.
    4. Re-opened the doc, double clicked the pic, clicked OK on the Format Picture dialog w/o doing anything, saved the doc, and closed the doc. Word file is still 135KB.
    5. One more time but now I changed the contrast setting by a few %. Saved and closed. Still 135KB.

Now, of course, I can't get it to blow up.

Not sure that the above helps or hinders.

Fred

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Thks. This sounds promising altho I don't thik it is it.

I started a new Word doc and inserted the 135KB JPEG. Saved and exited. File is 135KB. Noted that the Preview checkbox is off.

Re-opened doc and changed the Preview checkbox from off to on. No editing of picture - not even a double click. Saved and exited. Now the file is 3.27MB.

Re-opened doc and unchecked the Preview checkbox from on to off. Saved exited. File is back down to 135KB.

Reason I said I don't think this is it is because I only knew about this checkbox subconsiously. So I don't think there was any way I would have turned the checkbox on during the original bloating. But it does seem like the most plausible explanation based on what I just saw.

Fred