Lounger
    Thanks

Files open with no name (Word 2002, Win 2000 w. Ci

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by jscher2000 on 22-Nov-05 13:08. Extra signature removed for the sake of tidiness. )</P>Ever since they installed a Citrix client on my machine, double-clicking a DOC file in Windows Explorer opens the document in the unnamed mode, and "save as" is not in the directory where the document was. In Explorer (tools-folder options-file types) DOC had been set to Citrix...., but I reset it to Microsoft Word (my local copy). Behavior returns to normal when the Citrix client is terminated, but that is not a long-term solution because I will soon need some of the Citrix apps. Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,

Thanks

Re: Files open with no name (Word 2002, Win 2000 w

I don't use Citrix. However, it appears, as you note, that the Citrix client is making changes to the way Windows launches files. Rather than fight that (with potentially unpredictable consequences), you probably can work around it. Try starting Word using its program icon and using File>Open.

Lounger
    Thanks

Hi,
    Yes, with File--> Open it is OK, but our paths are very long and it is a real pain to have to navigate them. I like to keep several Explorer windows open and work from them.

The colleague who sits behind me does not have this problem. The only difference I notice is that in the Explorer Folder Options File types list, she has "Microsoft Word Document" and I have "Microsoft Word", but I dont know that came about.

Thanks

There is a trick to have Word re-register all of its file extensions to their original factory-fresh default behavior. I believe you do this:

Start > Run..., winword.exe /r

(The description here is a bit vague: How to use startup command line switches to start Word 2003, Word 2002, and Word 2000)

If that doesn't work or doesn't stick, you can try copying your Word shortcut (e.g., on the Start menu) into the Send To folder so that when you right-click a DOC file in Windows Explorer you can send it to your local copy of Word. It's a few more steps, but well hidden from anything that Citrix might try to change. You probably will need to add the "%1" to the command line of the shortcut to make sure that any paths with spaces in them are properly processed.

Lounger
    Thanks

Well, that didnt last long! Citrix apparently reregisters its stuff at least as often as every restart of the OS, and resets the path to itself. Does anyone know where the registry keys are that are changed when one changes the Windows Explorer File Types settings? Maybe there is more flexibility possible editing them directly.

Lounger
    Thanks

I have found a solution that I am happy with: in the Explorer Folder Options File Type tab card (actual English names may differ, I have the German version of Word), I left the DOC association with CitrixWord, but continued to "Advanced" and then "Edit" where I changed the path to the Citrix client. It now points to "...Winword.exe" "%1". Thanks everyone for all help and information.
    Ed Colaianni / Karlsruhe, Germany