Thread: WinXP (SP2)

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: WinXP (with servPac 2)

If you are running Windows XP Professional then you can Encrypt your files and folders - but be warned that other people have found that after making changes (such as resetting a user password) they could no longer access their data.

You could use a program like PGPDisk to create an encryped virtual disk, but you must make a backup of your key files to prevent the same sort of problem.

StuartR

Lounger
    Thanks

WinXP (SP2)

Edit to previous post of November 22nd. (Can I hide a partitioned drive from other users?)

Would it be possible then to create users within a 'user group' and "restrict access" to those users to a particular partition of the drive?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: WinXP (SP2)

Answer to your first (deleted) question:

Yes, it is possible to hide partitions (drives) and/or restrict access for all users.

Method 1: Simply hide a patrition. To do so, download and install TweakUI from Microsoft PowerToys for Windows XP. From account with Administrator rights, open TweakUI (Start | All Programs | Powertoys for Windows XP | TweakUI), navigate to My Computer | Drives on the left pane and on the right pane uncheck drives you want to hide. This will prevent drives to appear in Windows Explorer or Open dialog box, but not restrict users to access drive from shortcuts or from Command prompt.

Method 2: Restrict access to the drive. To do so, you need to convert the partition to NTFS (How to Convert FAT Disks to NTFS). Then,
    1. Click Start, and then click My Computer.
    2. On the Tools menu, click Folder Options.
    3. On the View tab, click Show hidden files and folders.
    4. Clear the Hide protected operating system files (Recommended) check box. Click Yes when you are prompted to confirm the change.
    5. Clear the Use simple file sharing (Recommended) check box.
    6. Click OK.
    7. Right-click the root folder (drive icon itself) on the drive you want to hide, and then click Properties.
    8. Click the Security tab.
    9. Select each group listed under "Groups or user names" one by one and click Remove. Warning: if you have any programs installed on this drive or you want to create backups or restore points on it, do not remove SYSTEM account!
    10. Click Add, and then type the name of the user to whom you want to give access to the drive. Click OK, and then click OK again.
    This method will not hide the drive icon in Windows Explorer.

You can combine both methods to hide and restrict access to the drives.

I hope I answered your edited question also.