New Lounger
    Thanks

Constant Rebooting Loop

My desktop is constantly rebooting every 15 seconds when I try to start-up the system. I'm assuming a BAD hard drive or maybe a corrupt XP file? I can't do anything but look at the CMOS, once the system starts to show XP loading screen(before the welcome screen) then it restarts w/ quick flash of blue screen (less than a second). Only thing there was STOP: (with no explanation or number). It will continue to loop like this until I shut the computer off from the back.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Constant Rebooting Loop

Have you tried booting into Safe Mode (F8)? One problem could be a bad memory stick and there are others. If you have more than one stick of RAM in the machine, a trial and error test is to try running with only one stick at a time to see if you can isolate that way. If not, you have to consider other possibilities like a weak power supply or ...

New Lounger
    Thanks

I've tried safe mode but it will still constantly reboot. I also tried to use one stick of ram at a time and swap them and its still rebooting.

The machine has a 6 month old power supply, so I don't think its that.

ASUS A7A266
    AMD (1.3GHZ)
    1024MB

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Two down and ?? to go, huh? Do you have or can you get hands on a bootable floppy disk? After making sure the floppy drive is in the boot sequence BEFORE the hard drive (in BIOS), try booting the floppy. That might at least prove your theory that it's either a bad physical drive or the Windows installation on the drive. Is the hard drive NTFS?

Thanks

-------------------------------------------------
    The machine has a 6 month old power supply, so I don't think its that.

--------------------------------------------------

Don't be too quick to assume that.
    It is more likely to fail during it's younger days than after a GOOD burn in.
    Check all of the connector plugs from PS, HDs, reseat memory, etc.

As Al said, try a boot floppy if you can get one. Or if you have the XP CD, try to boot to that and run a "repair reinstall".
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

My condolences on the A7A266 (I had one and hated it).

Remove all non-essential hardware: one stick of memory and the video card is all you need. Start the system. Still have problems? You've just eliminated nearly all of the hardware as a potential problem.

Have you tried the Last Known Good configuration which is also present after pressing F8?
    -Mark