3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Listing Permissions

Hi, all. I feel daunted even entering this forum (I'm just an MSOffice/VBA geek), but I hope someone can guide me...

I read about and have used a command or utility that will list (and pipe to a file) all permissions assigned to a share or a folder and iterate through all of their subfolders and files as well... but now I can't remember where or what that command or utility was.

I "own" a share at work (filled with Reference Manager databases and their ersatz access control files) containing about 100+ folders. Each one of these folders contains several more files and folders, ad nauseum. I would like to get a report on what permissions have been assigned to every file and folder, so that I can make sure sufficient privileges are available for all users. (Ideally, I'd like to integrate it into a VB application that could remedy any "insufficient privileges", but I suspect that goes into the realm of the network administrator, and that's a responsibility I don't have or want!) I know this can be done from my lowly XP workstation.

Can anyone help me? Thanks in advance...
    <font face="Comic Sans MS">That's what you do in a herd; you look out for each other!</font face=comic> - Mike

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Listing Permissions

If you are comfortable with the command line (DOS box), you can list permissions by using the command CACLS. Enter it alone at a command prompt (Start - Run - cmd) for a list of options.
    -Mark