Thanks

File Type Icons (WinXP-SP2)

How come some file types have an "Advanced" button, in which, among other things, you can change type icons, parameters, etc., and some types do not?

An example:

My TXT file type has all the options, but my MP3 type only has "Change" and "Restore" for the associated program.

How come?

Regards,
    Chuck Billow
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: File Type Icons (WinXP-SP2)

Where are you seeing this behaviour, Chuck? If it's in Folder Options, I suspect it's because you (or some software) has already changed a filetype to some specific program. Both my TXT and MP3 filetypes show only change and restore. I think that's because I've customized both. Maybe you need to write to Microsoft and ask 'em, huh?

Thanks

Re: File Type Icons (WinXP-SP2)

Al:

I know the culprit -- it's Winamp. And it's not that I have a problem with it.

Having less-than-optimal vision, I often set colors and icons accordingly. But when I went to set the icon for wav files, I couldn't. THAT'S what raised the question.

And now of course, I'll be bugged until I know what the difference is here, where with most programs I've installed, even if they set the association, I can modify it's characteristics. But Winamp does it differently somehow so that all the "details" are blocked from tampering..

And when I changed it (wav files) to another program, I still was blocked. So something somewhere is being turned on or off...

Something to research over the holiday I 'ppose....

But thanks Al.

Regards,
    Chuck Billow

BTW, Happy Thanksgiving to all U.S. readers ( and others who may celebrate as well.... !!
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"