3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I can't download VB2005 Express's bonus offerings (Windows XP/SP2)

As a result of downloading and registering VB 2005 Express edition, you are sent a Visual Studio 2005 Registration Benefits Portal screen containing links to number of bonus items also for downloading. I am specifically interested in one: an e-book titled "Microsoft Visual Basic 2005 Express Edition: Build a Program Now!" I, however, am completely unable to download any of the offered items. Each time I try, instead, for instance, of getting a 9.2 MB pdf file I get a 585 byte file named "downloadDetails.aspx." Double clicking on its icon causes VB's MDE editor to display two lines of meaningless letters and numbers.

I am using FireFox 1.0.7. I am having no trouble downloading anything else. Does anyone know where I can turn to get this to work?

John Littell

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: I can't download VB2005 Express's bonus offerings (Windows XP/SP2)

Have you tried Internet Explorer? Microsoft often uses ActiveX controls, and FireFox doesn't support those (except with a special add-in).

Thanks

Re: I can't download VB2005 Express's bonus offeri

If you are right-clicking to download, you can't. The aspx page is designed to "push" the download to you. If the relevant site isn't already on your Trusted Sites list and pop-up exceptions list, try that too.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Problem solved...

The culpret was FireFox. I invoked IE, changed every disabled security setting to prompt, and copied in the URL. I got a lot of prompts, but the downloads happened.

Thank you for your participation.

John

Thanks

By "the relevant site" I meant the host name (http://host/path/file) where the aspx page is located.

Just in case that text contains identifying information for your Passport account, you probably should remove it from your post (use the edit icon).

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks guys for your participation. jscher2000, I don't know how to follow your instructions. What is "the relevant site"? What follows is the contents of the aspx file:

John