4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Delay starting Windows/Other Apps w/ new Motherbrd

I had to get a new mother board recently. Nothing else about my system changed. However, I find now that as I am booting up, Windows 2000 gets stuck on the mostly white screen for 5 to 10 minutes, then continues booting normally.

Several applications, such as Excel also take about 5 minutes to open, but then work normally. Accessing certain folders from the start menu or Windows also delay about 5 to 10 minutes and then open normally.

This problem seems vaguely familiar, but I can't quite remember the reason. It almost seems like this happened when I installed a new 160 Gb hard drive a few years ago and had to use a controller card with my mother board.

Wish I could remember the solution.

Any ideas?

Thanks!!
    Troy

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Delay starting Windows/Other Apps w/ new Mothe

Any difficulty getting on the Internet, or accessing local machines? You might want to see if there are new drivers for your NIC card. Also, did you install the chipset driver(s) for your motherboard? W2K might be trying to use the wrong chipset driver, or a very old one. What about your bios? Is it fairly new, and fully recognizing all of your hardware? Is it set to 'No' where it asks if you have a Plug and Play operating system? Just a couple of things to look at.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Good call on the Event Viewer. Ever since the new motherboard was installed, I am seeing the following to things:

Error:
    Source: Ultra
    Category: None
    Event ID: 9
    Description: The device, DeviceScsiUltra1, did not respond within the timeout period.

Warning:
    Source: Disk
    Category: None
    Event ID: 51
    Description: An error was detected on device DeviceHarddisk0DR0 during a paging operation.

This appears to have only occurred after I got it home, but I cannot be sure because the computer clock was off by about 12 hours when I got it.

The Error referring to Ultra is certainly the scsi card for the hard disk.

OK. So now what? Any ideas?

Thanks!!
    Troy

Thanks

Try this Google search . There are lots of possible solutions there.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

John gave you a link to follow, but a few things come to mind right off.
    <UL><LI>Change interconnects (cables) between the disks and the motherboard.
    <LI>Update your SCSI controller BIOS.
    <LI>Update the drivers for the storage subsystem, whether Intel, AMD, or other.[/list]Sadly you must uncover additional clues at this point to fully resolve the problem, but this is progress!
    -Mark

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Try looking at the Event Viewer for clues. To get to it quickly:<UL><LI>Click Start<LI>Click Run<LI>Enter eventvwr.msc<LI>Click OK[/list]It's possible that the drive's geometry is represented diffferently with the new motherboard - and hence a new disk controller. And of course it could be something completely different. Let's see what Windows has to say about the matter.
    -Mark