Lounger
    Thanks

File Size (2003)

I have a single page document with four small graphics that has been changed and edited a lot ... And now, when I try to make another change I get an error message (after a LOOOONG period of disc activity): There are two many edits. Your work will be lost -- or something simliar.

What should I do to reduce the number of edits that are apparently stored in the document file?

How do I avoid this in the future?

Thanks for your help.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: File Size (2003)

Are you, by chance, using EndNote 6, and did the problems start after installing it?

Alan

Lounger
    Thanks

No.

The only other thing I can think of that might help w/ a solution is that the graphics are all WMF files, downloaded form the MS grahics website via the Word interface.

--cgb--

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Do you have "Allow fast saves" turned on in the Save tab of Tools | Options...? If so, you should turn it off. (If "Allow fast saves" is on, Word doesn't save the entire document, but only the changes since the previous save. All these changes accumulate over time.)

Do you have "Automatically save a version on close" turned on in File | Versions... for this document? That could lead to the same problem.

Lounger
    Thanks

I just opened Word to make sure of the settings. This is what I found:

"Allow fast save" was not checked.
    "Allow background saves" was check. I unhecked it.

Could that second one have made a difference?
    Whatever the cause, is there a way to strip old "stuff" and reduce the file size.

Thanks for your help.

--cgb--

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

'Allow background saves' is not a problematic setting, you can turn it back on if you like. It means that you can go on working in Word while a file is being saved.

Try the following:
    - Select the entire document except for the last paragraph mark (for example by pressing Ctrl+A followed by Shift+left arrow)
    - Copy to the clipboard (Ctrl+C)
    - Create a new document (Ctrl+N)
    - Paste (Ctrl+V)
    - Save the new document (Ctrl+S)
    Hopefully the new document will be a 'clean' copy of the old one.

Thanks

Word has an "undo buffer" which stores everything you do in case you want to undo it. This has a maximum capacity that can be exceeded in some cases. For example, it may occur if you are doing numerous find and replace operations across a long document. Does this sound like the kind of error message you got? If so, you might be able to work around it by periodically saving the file. For some reason, committing the changes to disk makes Word happier.

Another common problem is with Word's "real-time" spell checking. To reduce the number of "errors," you can set the text to "no proofing" or turn off the real-time spell check under Tools>Options..., Spelling tab.

But if you start getting the error on the first edit, and it isn't related to spelling, then one of the objects in your document might be corrupt. To work around this, copy and paste chunks of your document to new documents and save them. When you find one you can't save, or which generates the error message, you may have found the problem object.

Does any of that help?

Lounger
    Thanks

Well ... I did the copy and paste sequence HansV suggested and the new document loaded faster and I was able to edit it faster w/o having to wait 3 or 4 minutes for each edit to "take" and I was able to finish the poster project

So, I'll print it, make copies, and post them all over church tomorrow. But I still don't know for sure what made it happen that way.

Thank you -- and the others -- for your help.

--cgb--