Star Lounger
    Thanks

Access User Level Security (Access 2003)

I have a question about the implementation of Access security. I applied User Level security to a database, created the new Admin ID, and created a workgroup with read only capabilities. The default user for the read only workgroup was "All" because I wanted to create one logon for the admin, and one for everyone else. Eventually I was going to create a group with limited update capabilites.

It worked great- I put it on a share drive and every time I opened the database, it prompted me for a user name and password. I put in the Admin user id and password and I had total read/write/update capabilities. Then I reopened it and logged in as "ALL" with the other password and viola!- I had only read access and could not hurt the integrity of the data or tables, queries, and reports underneath.

Then I went over to my buddies computer. Now every time I opened the database from his desk it didnt ask me for the log on UserID and Password, it logged me in as the "ALL" and I had no choice.

What I would like Access to do is ask the user who opened the database for an ID and Password. That way I can set up three groups- Admin, AllUser, and Limited and anyone going in can use the group I give them. Is this possible? Does Access work in this way? I didnt see anything about prompts from the wizard or help files on open. Is it a problem that I dont have a list of specific users in the "ALL" group so it is defaulting?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Access User Level Security (Access 2003)

The information about the user and group accounts is stored in a workgroup file (.mdw). If you didn't explicitly create a new .mdw file, the information is stored in the default System.mdw file on your hard disk. When you went to your buddies' PC, you opened the database with his System.mdw, which doesn't contain the modified users and groups you created.

You should do the following:
    <UL><LI>If you haven't already done so, take the built-in Admin account out of the built-in Admins group (on your PC).
    <LI>Take away most or all permissions from the built-in Admin account.
    <LI>Quit Access and rename your System.mdw file to (for example) Secured.mdw. The default location of the .mdw file is

Cocuments and Settings<username>Application DataMicrosoftAccess

You must show hidden files and folders in Windows Explorer, for Application Data is a hidden folder.
    <LI>Copy Secured.mdw to a network folder, for example the same folder where the database resides.
    <LI>Create a shortcut with a target like this:

"C:Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeOffice11MSAccess.exe" "FatabasesMyDatabase.mdb" /wrkgrp "FatabasesSecured.mdw"

with, of course, the correct paths and file names substituted.[/list]When users open the database with this shortcut, they will be prompted for a username and password.
    When users open the database directly, they will automatically be logged in as the buitl0in Admin user and have very few permissions.

See <!profile=WendellB>WendellB<!/profile>'s tutorial The Secrets of Security.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

in addition to the link that Hans posted, you can find a few more resources at the website in my signature
    --------------------------------------------------
    Jack MacDonald
    Vancouver, Canada

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks. Ill try that.