Thread: maintenance (1)

New Lounger
    Thanks

maintenance (1)

hi

with other versions of windows i was supposed to Run Scandisk and Defragment frequently. What progams do i need to run frequently with Windows XP?

thanks

Kurt

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: maintenance (1)

Windows XP is infinitely more stable than prior Windows releases. Other than keeping current antivirus software and cleaning up miscellaneous things that collect on your drive, it really doesn't require a lot of maintenance. You can still defragment the drive and run a disk check if you like, but it's largely unnecessary.

I would, however, seek out and install a decent antispyware application. I use CounterSpy for this purpose. And if you haven't been told yet... get Mozilla Firefox and use it for browsing the web instead of Internet Explorer. If nothing else, you will be far more secure.

Hope that helps...
    -Mark

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Welcome to The Lounge. In Windows XP the scandisk command has been replaced by chkdsk. Here's a screenshot of the syntax. First thing is Run, cmd to get in to a command prompt like window. Most people use chkdsk c: /r and it will tell you that you have to let it run when the machine reboots. Let it do that and do a re-start. If you have other drives or partititions, they WILL run right away.

Thanks

>> If you have other drives or partititions, they WILL run right away.

I think you may find that is dependent on there being no files in use on the other drives. I often open up files deliberately to force the drive to be checked at Boot time - this means I can reboot and ALL drives are checked in one hit.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

You will find many opinions and people willing to express them when it comes to defragmenting your drives. If your drives are FAT32 (check the properties of the drive in Windows Explorer to see the file system) then you'll be subject to the same fragmentation as in prior OSes. There is less fragmentation if you are using NTFS but still some. You can use the builtin defragmenter if you wish. There are several third party degramenters available - O&O Software - Creating Solutions!, Defrag with Diskeeper - Automatic Defrag For Microsoft Windows, and Raxco Software Windows Products - PerfectDisk 7.0 are three. You'll find varying opions about all.

Joe
    Joe