Ben

Launching Office Apps from IE

Hi

I'm trying to create an intranet page which has HTML links on it to launch a local copy of Office XPs applications i.e. word, excel etc. IE 5.5 is the browser in question and the security built into the browser prevents executable files from being started without the File Download dialog box appearing. I have tried local site security settings in IE and also using .lnk files and .bat files in the HTML links. Microsoft has an article on this subject Q232077 but hiding the IFRAME doesn't seem to create easily maintainable code. Has anyone done this? I can't be the first person to encounter this problem. Is there a Java applet, VBscript or ActiveX control that can bypass this? Please help 3 people have been pulling their hair out for 5 days now. Thanx in anticpation.. Ben

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Launching Office Apps from IE

Have you tried posting your question in the HTML forum? It seems like a fairly specific type of problem rather than a general Office problem, so you might get better results there.
    Charlotte

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Launching Office Apps from IE

Hi Ben,

Rather than having a hyperlink to launch an application, how about having the hyperlink open a file that is associated with that application (would that force a new instance of the application to be created)?

Gary